W10 Version 1709 upgrade

I have an old Gateway laptop that I use as a backup. I appreciate that it is probably a bit under specified for the latest Windows 10 Pro with Intel (R) Core (TM2) CPU T5300 @ 1.73 GHz and 2GB RAM.

In June I had problems with W10 that I took to a local service agent who wiped out everything and installed a fresh version. The laptop worked fine, I installed the minimum of applications and updates worked fine. I set the update settings so that I manually choose when to install updates giving me a chance to investigate them before actually installing them. However I only use the laptop occasionally and in the last month a major update has started automatically. This resulted in many “devices” no longer working and I was unable to access internet. After spending a lot of time trying various fixes, such as network Trouble Shooting, I gave up and went back to the previous version. Yesterday the same thing happened again.

The update now installed is “Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.98”. I am attaching screenshots of Device Manager showing devices with problems.

Is there any way that I can revert to previous edition and then ONLY receive security updates? I am not interested in Cortana, Paint 3D, 3D Objects, virtual reality etc. ? In particular can I stop auto updates without having to keep a record of last time I used laptop and date last update delayed unto?

You can rollback to previous version and once tha't done, stop Windows from updating by searching for services in start, scroll down and look for Windows update, and Stop the service. You have to do this everytime you boot your PC since there's no way to stop Windows from updating. MS intended it that way.

Also, put your internet connection to Metered connection and disable app updates updates 

Check this links:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/4028458/windows-metered-connections-in-windows-10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/15081/windows-turn-on-automatic-app-updates

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I just got this update for W10 Home, 1709, 16299.125 on my desktop PC and I'm having no end of problems mostly with many of the apps that worked fine before now having to be "restalled" even MS Office had to be "repaired", further it seems to have added a drive that doesn't really exist and is constantly pester me to scan it. But IT DOESN'T EXIST!!!!! >.<

Who ever thought this update was going to fix problems all it seems to have done is create more. To the developer what created this mess, YOUR FIRED!!!!.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 30, 2018 Views 235 Applies to: