Upgrading Windows 10 stuck on 32% (Installing features and drivers 6%)

I have tried to upgrade to windows 10 a number of times using both windows update download and the Media creative tool but installation hangs at 32% (installing features and drivers 6%) on every trial. I have tried several steps advised from other posts such as: 

Disable/uninstall antivirus program 

Performed a clean boot

Disable LAN (Local Area Network), Bluetooth, Wi-Fi

Disconnected my external hard drive and all USB devices

Tried to turn off .NET Framework 3.5 from windows features but was unsuccessful (error occurred. Not all the Features were successfully changed) 

Left it at 32% for more than 24 hours but made no difference

And more.

I use a Sony Vaio VGN-AW21M 32-bit running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 upgrade ( initially came with Windows Vista) with more than 100GB space left. Any other suggestion or solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated. 

EDIT: First of all, thanks for the suggestion guys, I finally got it to work. My Sony Vaio was riddled with both system and windows update errors and I tried several suggestion provided to fix this issue but to no avail. I was close to considering spiritual occult and goat sacrifices to Zeus in order to get this thing to work.

I then decided to repair my system through a windows 7 re-install. After installation, My file system was intact and windows update was back working. I also recovered all personal files from the directory "C:/Windows.old" as well as a previous backup & restore file. Had to re-install my programs though and ran windows update. In preparation for the windows 10 installation i did the following: 

.Performed a clean boot

.Disabled .NET 3.5 Framework in System Features

.From Device manager, disabled NVIDIA Graphics adapter, LAN, Bluetooth, USB Ports and finally Wi-fi(After windows 10 download just before restart during installation)

.Disconnected all USB, Firewire devices including Mouse and Keyboard.

I used the Media Creation tool  to download and install windows 10 and the upgrade finally went smoothly, even though I'm still not sure what the initial issue was. After the upgrade, my files and programs were still intact and my drivers were automatically enabled. It's a long process but hope this helps. Cheers!

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2019 Views 78,919 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My installation stopped at 32%, repeatedly.  I tried turning off my wifi adapter before I started (hardware switch, or device manager) and the install went to completion in about an hour.  Insiders back in April had similar problems with an earlier build stopping at 30% and many reported successful installations after turning off their network adaptors.  Give it a try.

206 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Bro
NOTHING TO SAY

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. Tried using WInupdate, Download Windows10 and ISO-DVD (created with the tool).

I also disables Bluetooth, Lan and Wifi devices (when updating Windows 8 to 8.1 I had to do that to to make it work) but this time, upgrading the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, no luck so far. I'm trying for 4 days (and 3 nights) now.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem the first time I tried upgrading. Googled the problem and came to the conclusion that it probably has something to do with this small USB fan on the table that I bought from Dealextreme to cool my mouse hand (lol). I disconnected the thingy and tried to upgrade once more, this time it worked perfectly. So make sure that you don't have any bizarre accessories connected to your PC. You might even try and go as far as disconnecting mouse and keyboard for the duration of upgrade, as somebody else suggested on another forum, might help.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My upgrade froze on restart after features and drivers were installed.  Can I just disconnect the WiFi on the computer?  I have no switch to shut off.  I am running a desktop on cable and my laptop, all-in-one computer, and 4 tablets on WiFi.  It is all on 1 modem.  am thinking of shutting my laptop down and then turn back on.  It will try to recover the installation and if not will restore my windows 7.  Will try tomorrow for the 4th time.  The download for my all-in-one computer keeps failing.  This one is running windows 8.1  Anyone have another ideas.  I am about ready to give up and forget it.  I have uninstalled everything I can.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Was locked solid @ 6%, unplugged all usb devices and now chugging along up to 67% now. almost breaking my fingers by crossing them. My wife's school work stored on this machine!!  91%!!!!........100%!!!!........configuring settings 1%.....2%!!!......4%!!!!!.....sweating bullets!!!! 5%!!!!.......Wonder what my blood Pressure looks like!!!..... 20%!!!!!!.........36%!!!!!!  Man This is slow!!!!  40%!!!!!!!!!!!.....................................43%!!...............69%!!!!!........70%........................................................................................79%...........................................................................................81%..........................................................................................84%...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................86%......................................................................................................................90%..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................96%   HI welcome back!!!!  I guess I wont have to kill myself after all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the tip!!

If you think that was bad you should have seen me with windows ME

Take care guys!!

John..

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft released 2 new updates for Win8.1 (via Windows Update) today, a new Windows Update-client, and a new Compatibility Appraiser.

I think it's not 'by coincidence' those 2 tools are upgraded.

After installing those updates, for the first time in 6 days (and nights) and testing every hint/tip I found, installation of Windows 10 Upgrade now passed 71% and counting (so I hope, the HDD-led still shows activity).

I have no clue what the next problem will be (as I also disabled many drivers, uninstalled some apps, disabled many non-Microsoft-services etc).

Fingers crossed over here (makes typing hard to do).

75% now... 'Configuring settings'.

30 minutes later: passed the 100%, Windows 10 starts, had some trouble with my password (the keyboard-layout was Dutch (which is qwerty), but I need 'Belgian' (which is azerty'. Now it's configuring, but this message is on the screen:

This seems to take longer than usual... (free translation from Dutch message).

But, while I'm typing this, the desktop-screen is showing.

So it seems, at very very ver first sight, the two Windows updates Microsoft released today are (finaly) fixing the 'stuck at 32% / 6% error.' But in the description of those updates nothing is said about what they fixed. Would be nicer to inform us, I think.

Now I will probably find what other problems will rise when I re-anable drivers and services and re-install some apps I need.

Still fingers crossed.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i solved problem with this:

Power down computer.

Wait 10 minutes.

Start computer.

Setup will automatically restore your previous Windows 10 build or previous version of Windows.

Launch command prompt with administrator privileges.

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

Type the following command:

rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Hit Enter on your keyboard

Exit command prompt

Restart

Try updating again.

Method 1: Run the Windows update Troubleshooter and check if it helps: 

1. Press “Windows + X” and select Control panel.
  2. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
  3. Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

When I wrote I tested every hint and tip I found to solve this, during 6 days and 6 nights, your tip was one of those.

For me it did not work.

The 2 Windows Updates (for Windows 8.1) Microsoft released yesterday did the job for me: Windows 10 is now up and running.

So it seems Microsoft knows what was wrong. Would be nice when they would inform the unhappy '32% / 6% - problem' - users about this. But that would mean they have to admit something was wrong with their software. And that's hard for them ;-) .

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your helpfull posts Luk !

I got stuck on my Windows 10 upgrade as well. Probably one of the older builds still containing the 32% / 6% stuck issue.

Any idea how to delete that older download of previous builds and let Windows Upgrade download the latest builds?

Sorry this didn't help.