I have tried to upgrade to windows 10 a number of times using both windows update download and the Media creative tool but installation hangs at 32% (installing features and drivers 6%) on every trial. I have tried several steps advised from other posts such as:
Disable/uninstall antivirus program
Performed a clean boot
Disable LAN (Local Area Network), Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
Disconnected my external hard drive and all USB devices
Tried to turn off .NET Framework 3.5 from windows features but was unsuccessful (error occurred. Not all the Features were successfully changed)
Left it at 32% for more than 24 hours but made no difference
I use a Sony Vaio VGN-AW21M 32-bit running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 upgrade ( initially came with Windows Vista) with more than 100GB space left. Any other suggestion or solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.
EDIT: First of all, thanks for the suggestion guys, I finally got it to work. My Sony Vaio was riddled with both system and windows update errors and I tried several suggestion provided to fix this issue but to no avail. I was close to considering spiritual occult and goat sacrifices to Zeus in order to get this thing to work.
I then decided to repair my system through a windows 7 re-install. After installation, My file system was intact and windows update was back working. I also recovered all personal files from the directory "C:/Windows.old" as well as a previous backup & restore file. Had to re-install my programs though and ran windows update. In preparation for the windows 10 installation i did the following:
.Performed a clean boot
.Disabled .NET 3.5 Framework in System Features
.From Device manager, disabled NVIDIA Graphics adapter, LAN, Bluetooth, USB Ports and finally Wi-fi(After windows 10 download just before restart during installation)
.Disconnected all USB, Firewire devices including Mouse and Keyboard.
I used the Media Creation tool to download and install windows 10 and the upgrade finally went smoothly, even though I'm still not sure what the initial issue was. After the upgrade, my files and programs were still intact and my drivers were automatically enabled. It's a long process but hope this helps. Cheers!