Upgrade to Windows 10 failing

I have windows 8.1 installed and I have windows 10 reserved via the taskbar tool. I am using a touchscreen laptop. The upgrade tool says my system is conpatible.

The update to Windows 10 fails according to windows update with error code 80246010

The original error was 80240020 but changed to the code above after I cleared out my windows temp folder

How do I get past this error for the product to download and install? I have tried rebooting but it doesn't fix the problem.

thanks

Craig

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2017 Views 332 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Craig,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist you.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Windows Update troubleshooter is an automated Windows tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the Window Update.

I suggest to you to refer the below link on how to run Windows Update Troubleshooter:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder and delete everything in that folder.

2. Now, Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Command Prompt Admin.

3. Type in wuauclt.exe /updatenow in the Command prompt.

4. Close the Command prompt after successfully executed the command in Command prompt.

5. Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

6. Click on Windows update and Download Windows 10 update again and check if it helps.

Reference: Refer to the following Wiki article created by Andre Da Costa on How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response. i had already run the troubleshooter and deleted the distribution download area.

I'm using the admin level command prompr to get the download as follows

wuauclt.exe /detectnow /updatenow

error 80240020
and 80070584

any further suggestions? Anyone else having this problem?

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). http://www.craigcockburn.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Consider skipping this troublesome method (which appears to have been tampered with by someone) and use the method provided in the link below to create your installation media and upgrade your system to Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/media-creation-tool-fix/64a5fa3a-9444-435e-ba21-7fdf5ef7030c

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still having the problem. If I use the media creation tool does this cause any other difficulties? I have a fully registered and activated version of windows but no longer have the installation disks or licence. 
--

Sorry this didn't help.

This fix allowed the install to start:

This is an expected message indicating that when installation begins it may require user interaction. This is the largest software upgrade event ever and we’re managing it so everyone has a great experience. We recommend waiting until your PC receives a notification to upgrade, and then following the instructions provided. 
Please note that there is no problem with your reservation or upgrade download. The upgrade download is not corrupt as some have stated, and you will be notified in the coming days or weeks when your device is ready to upgrade.

If you are very eager to upgrade, tech savvy users with the above message can modify the following registry key to install immediately. 

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur. 

1. Locate the registry key:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
  2. It should exist, but if not, create it.
  3. Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. 
NoteWindows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.

--

Sorry this didn't help.

You did not follow the instructions that I outlined.

We are not using Media Creation Tool, we are using Windows ISO Creator—which is built into all versions of Windows as far back as Windows 7 from what I understand.

You will just need to download the ISO directly from Microsoft (the link which is included in my original post) and then create your Windows 10 installation disc by right clicking the ISO file and selecting the "Burn" option in the menu.

This will open Windows ISO Creator—and should create an installation media for you.

Once the disc is done, open up its contents in the File Explorer. You should see a program named "setup.exe" there in the opening menu. Run that program and it will begin guiding you through the Windows 10 installation process. This process should upgrade your version of Windows to Windows 10 while retaining your activated status.

Sorry this didn't help.

How is that answer of relevance? I had no need for the ISO., I just made the registry change and it was fixes 
--

Sorry this didn't help.

There should be no need to alter the registry in order to upgrade to Windows 10.

What you're suggesting could damage someone's computer.

I've provided a full method that can be used to quickly upgrade to Windows 10 manually.

Downloading the ISO is apart of creating the installation media, which can be used later to fix your computer if something were to go wrong with it. Does that make any sense?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's my computer

I am an IT consultant with over 20 years experience  with PCs  and Microsoft products as a developer

My system is now running windows 10 perfectly

--

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's the proof should anyone be interested that the registry fix worked

Screenshot

I've also made it look like windows 7 and changed it to use Chrome as the default browser and Google as the default search engine (including in Cortana). I'm happy about microsoft giving me better performance, security and features but I don't appreciate excessive fiddling with a UI that works and being coerced into using Microsoft products.

--

Sorry this didn't help.