Upgrade failing but clean install OK: how to validate?

Hello,

on a fresh Windows 8.1 Pro install that I update to 10, upgrade is failing at 87% (stuck with no action forever). When rebooting it rolls back to 8. So I decided to install a fresh 10, and it works just fine! However, as the upgrade process did not complete, license transfer did not occur. However, I have a shiny c:\windows.old.000\panther\GenuineTicket.xml which I suppose validates the license upgrade; the question being, how can I apply it to my installed 10? It's certainly a simple step that never got to be executed in the upgrade process.

thanks!

Question Info

Last updated December 28, 2017 Views 1,358 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to refer to the Microsoft Help Articles given below and check if that helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

How do I activate Windows 10?

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm afraid it is not telling me how to activate without completing the upgrade process (which I understand is not supported, but technically doable since the GenuineValidation.xml file has been generated).

Sorry this didn't help.

Figured the answer, yay!

it is so simple one wonder why it's not documented: {removed}

reboot and voilà!

I think the genuineticket.xml file is generated at the beginning of the upgrade from within win8.1 so as soon as the file is there you can stop and install clean (after saving it of course).

Now the tricky question, can I fresh install without issues now? That's what is annoying with this new activation scheme, you can only figure if MS servers know your hardware when you install from scratch and get activated (or not).

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

I would request you to refer to Wiki article created by Andre Da Costa below and check.

How to Activate and resolve common Product key issues in Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Regards,

Niranjan Manjhi

Sorry this didn't help.