Update 1803 Problems with networking

After running Windows 10 update 1803 on Windows 10 Pro, I have been coming across many issues with networking failing to operate correctly.

I do IT support, and have come across many sites demonstrating networking issues after running the 1803 update.

The main issue is that Computer names are not working and can no longer be found on the network.

Using IP address is working, but accessing resources by name is sometimes working, then sometimes not.

Some PCs on a network will not be affected, and others will.

I am sure the issues are all due to various changes being done by the 1803 update, but I am writing here as I have not been able to find a definitive set of solutions to fix this issue.

I have tried some of the suggestions, i.e. enabling "Function Discovery Resource Publication", but the problem still exists.

i.e. a PC on the network will sometimes be able to reference PC names, and then will fail for a time, and then start to work again.

Also, on a system that ran the 1803 update that day, I was able to revert to the previous Windows edition, but on PC that was done a week ago, does not seem have this option anymore.

Am I able to still remove the 1803 update regardless of how long ago it was done?

I would like to be able to run the removal, as when I have done that, all the networking problems go away.

Most of the solutions I have come across state this was a problem in the pre-release of this update, but I think the issue I am seeing are the same as what is mentioned in many of the articles.

Hoping that someone can point me to the correct, and current answers, to this problem.

When MS removed Homegroup from Windows 10 v1803, t has effected all local network operations.

I find that running PS command Test-NetConnection gives 50% of fail because of failed name resolving. This occurs with home networks using NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Test-NetConnection -ComputerName PCNAME -InformationLevel Detailed

I find work around to this from the history of networking back to 60's and ARPANET: Hosts-file which was used long before DNS. Follow my link and see step 6. (Yes, MS has take 50 years step back in history!)

To get you PC's to visible under File Explorer network section then most important part is to start some required services.

Push Win Key and type "Services", locate those services, start them and set Start type to Automatic (Delayed Start). 

Services are:

- Function Discovery Provider Host

- Function Discovery Resource Publication

- SSDP Discovery

- UPnP Device Host

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for this suggestion.

I missed this post, as I must not have set this to alert me.

I will most certainly try this when I come across the issue again.

I have just fixed a few sites today by reverting the 1803 update.

The last case had 4 PCs on the network, all exactly the same, aside from different software on them over time.

All PCs on this LAN connect to 1 PC for shared data. All the systems ran the 1803, and the "file server" was OK, and 2 others, but just one of them could not access network shares on the server.

Do you know if the services suggested will fix client PC connecting to other network resources?

I will also add, that all the networks I have had to work with are all peer to peer, i.e. no dedicated server, all running Windows 10 Pro. There is no DNS server, other than router using DHCP.

I will advise of results once I see this again, which I am sure will come again soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Pauli O for your suggestions.

Unfortunately not seeing this fixing the problems.

The only solution that seems to work is removing the 1803 update, where it is possible.

When the option is not present, then I have  not been able to fix this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Seahawks_1965.

I had seen this post, and have tried most of the suggestions there.

As mentioned above, the only guaranteed solution that seems to work is removing the 1803 update, where it is possible.

When the option is not present, then I have  not been able to fix this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem. After MS purged Homegroups, the peer-to-peer functionality is not working.  All PC's have been upgraded to 1803, and some see the others and can access Share drives, some PC's cannot.  All are the same brand, type computer configured the same.

How can Microsoft screw up the simpliest of peer-to-peer networking tools that millions use on a daily basis without thorough testing?

The reality is, Homegroups worked just fine if you could remember the password.  Now we have a disaster on our hands.

Also, when WIN10 was updated to 1803, in the process of creating a partition, MS caused serious damage to my file structure.  We use 2 harddrives on each PC, one for WIN10 OS, the other drive, D:\ is for applications and data.  In the process of creating a partition to install 1803, the D:\ file name got corrupted and MS entered an * in its place.  Not all applications that were installed on D:\, for example D:\UPSWorldship, now show up in the registry as *:\UPSWorldship.

Well this disaster made it impossible to uninstall the corrupted applications so each one had to be painfully, manually deleted from the drive and registry.  UPSWorldship had 100's of registry keys that had to be painfully deleted one at a time.

Microsoft has cause serious problems for millions that will take many 1000's of hours to repair due to sloppy beta testing and poor coding.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your comments Fogelberg, and for emphasising the problems that this update is causing.

Yes, it is very frustrating that Microsoft has released an update that has caused such headaches for many people.

I am now getting more frustrated though that there is no word on a fix, or any comments being added in this forum, or elsewhere, that will advise what is being done to undo or fix this mess.

I would have hoped to have heard something by now from a Microsoft technician or moderator.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same problems since the 1803 "upgrade".

The worst happens when you count on a nightly backup of your peer computers - just to find out in the morning that the backup application failed because it couldn't find  the peer computer.

So this morning I looked at other related services and found out that the"Network Setup Service" was set to "Manual" start, so I changed it to "Automatic" and started it. "Magically" I could see the peer computer directories on my File explorer now.

Based on my previous experience in trying to save the problem by following all the other recommendations I hope this "magic" is not short lived.

I use the term "magic" because like magic, there are always things we don't know how to explain but there is always an explanation behind it.

I hope this can work for other frustrated people like me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same problems since the 1803 "upgrade".

The worst happens when you count on a nightly backup of your peer computers - just to find out in the morning that the backup application failed because it couldn't find  the peer computer.

So this morning I looked at other related services and found out that the"Network Setup Service" was set to "Manual" start, so I changed it to "Automatic" and started it. "Magically" I could see the peer computer directories on my File explorer now.

Based on my previous experience in trying to save the problem by following all the other recommendations I hope this "magic" is not short lived.

I use the term "magic" because like magic, there are always things we don't know how to explain but there is always an explanation behind it.

I hope this can work for other frustrated people like me.

Two days later :

The system is back to its old tricks - Connecting to peer computer by name only randomly!

Seems to consistently connecting using the IP address.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, this is my very last Windows PC!!  Im out the door to our local Apple store.  More expensive, yes but a friend of mind for 40+ years hounded me to buy a Mac and now  I’m picking him up to go Mac shopping.  See ya Mr. Gates!

Guy from western NY

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2022 Views 3,014 Applies to: