Stuck in license activation after hardware change

Hi all.

Here's my story.

I have two laptops both are ~5 years old.
One was primary (DELL) an the other was my secondary (Toshiba) that I use this rarely.

Both bundled with Windows 7 Home Premium purchased back in 2011-2012 (not sureprecisely).

I bought a new Windows 7 Pro OEM license in Boxed CD form, and installed this to my primary laptop DELL in those days.
Did not care about the license that bundled with it. Then upgraded to Windows 8 for a very small fee, say ~10$.
Then free upgrade to 8.1 made. While using 8.1, I purchased a Media Center upgrade (don't know why I did it :), again for a very small fee.
Finally when Windows 10 was announced I upgraded immediately an was eligible to updrade Windows 10 Pro.
Since then, I've been using Windows 10 with the digital license that linked my Microsoft accounton this DELL.
A couple of days ago My DELL died. RIP, was a good boy. So I decided to use my secondary laptop with my DELL's system drive which is an SSD.
Started th new device and tried to activate and I see the following.

"We found a Windows Home digital license for this device running Windows 10 Pro.
To activate this digital license you need o install Windows 10 Home."

This device (Toshiba) never activated with Windows 8, 8.1 or 10. Installed OS was the bundled Windows 7 Home Premium. Then I realized Windows 7 license is present in firmware thanks to ShowKeyPus.

So I clicked "I changed hardware on this device recently" link.
After a while I see:

"Unable to activate Windows

We can't any device linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for  reactivating the device you're using right now.
Make sure you're signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license on this device or try again later."

This device never linked to a Microsoft account. Now I need to use this device wih my Windows 10 Pro license.
I was using Bitlocker and some Hyper-V (mobile development) features with my beloved DELL, so I've been forced to use Windows 10 Pro. To continue with the Windows 10 Home license I eligible to use on this device  is not the option.

What are my options in this situation, what can I do?

Should I forget all the licenses (acquired by purchasing, or bundled with the device, or upgrades with or without fees) ?

Any solution or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

I'll be around here to answer your questions If I can not explain the problem well.

Hi,

We understand that you're having issues with activating Windows 10. Kindly refer to the articles below as your reference:

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

Activation in Windows 10

Feel free to post again if you have other concerns.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using the following default product key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T 

Review instructions how to perform an Easy Upgrade using the default key:

How to Perform an Easy Upgrade in Windows 10 

After upgrading, proceed to enter the Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Windows 8 Pro product key.

Click Start > Settings Update & security > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click Next to Activate 

You can also use chat support:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2022 Views 550 Applies to: