set up windows 10 without account

I am setting up a new windows 10 computer for a friend, and I don't want to use my Microsoft account.  I don't think he has one.  Can I do it with a local account?

Question Info

Last updated July 17, 2019 Views 31,213 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
You can setup the computer with a local account and create a dummy account called 'User' just to reach the desktop and let the user create any additional accounts if needed.

One of the easiest ways to ensure it defaults to a Local account is to temporarily disconnect from the Internet.

Windows 10 setup only provides the option to set up a Microsoft Account if you are connected to the Internet. If you are not connected to one, setup will default to a local account.

Local Account – this account works like credentials used to log onto Windows 7 and earlier versions of Windows. A local account doesn’t include the modern benefits of Windows 10, such as PC Syncing, the ability to download apps from the Windows Store and two-factor authentication. A local account also requires setting up a hint in case you forget your password.

Microsoft Account – this type of account uses a Microsoft email address linked with your Microsoft account. Normally, this email address would use the hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com or outlook.com domains. You can set up Windows 10 with a yahoo.com, gmail.com or icloud.com address, just make sure that email address is associated with a Microsoft account.

Learn more:
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/setup-configur...
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

49 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.