Random Freeze and Unresponsiveness [Windows 10 20H2]

I recently updated to Windows 10 20H2 from 2004. Since then I have been experiencing random freezes, lock-ups, and unresponsiveness. I could be watching a video and the video would pause, the touchpad won't respond, touch won't work, and the power key won't sign me off. The only option I am left with is to press and hold the power button to force-restart the laptop. 

I am using Lenovo 920 with i7 8th gen 512 SSD and 16 GB of RAM.

Please, send help. 

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello, my name is Elias

I suggest you follow these steps

Turn off third-party Software and Services from system startup.

1° On the Desktop, press the Windows + R keys, type msconfig and click OK;
2° In the System Configuration window click on the Services tab;
3° At the bottom of the screen check the Hide all Microsoft services box and click Turn it all off;
4° Now click the Program Startup tab and open task manager;
5° When loading the task manager click the Initialize tab and disable all programs that are not Microsoft (right-click on the program and choose to disable), Close the Task Manager and click Apply and OK on System Configuration;
6° Restart your computer if prompted.

Note: This disables all third-party services and programs. You can later, if the issue is resolved in this way, enable the programs and services that will be booted with Windows selectively, rather than keeping everyone disabled. If the problem comes back after activating the startup of a specific service or program, the problem is exactly at the startup of this software and it is recommended to remove it.

If you remain the same behavior, use Troubleshooting to try to fix it. This solution is also known as Microsoft Fix it. Microsoft fix solutions can help diagnose and resolve problems in Microsoft products or third-party software that affects Microsoft products.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use...

In general, these solutions are found in Knowledge Base articles or other types of Microsoft support content. To run the tool, click the available button below to start the download, run the file, and follow the options presented on the screen.

Download troubleshooting for Windows 10.

After running the tool, restart the computer and if the same behavior remains, run Dism and Scannow repair tools by following the processes below:

Note: These are diagnostic tools and assist in repairing the system image.

1° On the Desktop, press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys;

2° In Task Manager, click File and select create new task.

3° Select Create this task with admin privileges, type CMD in Open and click OK;

4° Copy the commands below, paste the Command Prompt in administrative mode and press Enter at the end of each of them:

Sfc /ScanNow

Dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

5° Restart the computer, test and see if the behavior repeats.

I hope I helped.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have this issue including random shut down since Windows version 1909. There are days where my laptop would run just fine and then there will be a day where my laptop would either freeze randomly or shut down on its own (few times a day sometimes) without any warning. The screen would go black but my keyboard would still have its lights on but when I press any key, it won't do anything. I have no choice but to force reboot my laptop. I've sent my laptop to GeekSquad three times but no luck. They told me there was no issue with my hardware whatsoever. I've tried every solution that I can find on the internet but still couldn't find the solution. Please help. I can't use my laptop properly if this issue keep coming up. I'm using MSI GS63VR 8RE, GTX1060, running the latest windows 10.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue on Dell XPS 15 9570. Hope Microsoft will provide a fix soon.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there i have some problem,

I had latest windows 10 20h2 and my laptop started randomly freeze, cant move mouse screen stuck just had to turn off manually,

i tryed windows 8.1 and it worked without freezing. I will try older version of windows 10 now and i will report how it go.

My laptop HP Omen 17 with 10th intel and RTX 2080 Super.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How did it go? Or has anyone found a solution to this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update: I tried each of the given solutions none of them worked. 

After a couple of days of the update and constant force resrarting upon freeze the Laptop stopped booting. Thr backlit keyboard would lit but nothing on the screen and then it would turn off. Couldn't get it to boot. Took it to a Lenovo Service centre. They said the motherboard IC is at fault and would require a change. It costed me hefty Rs. 9000 which is around $150.

I was even asked to reset the system which I did. The laptop worked fine for exactly ONE week and then same problem. Took it back to the service centre and they kept the laptop for 3-4 days. They ran their tests. Installed 1802 version of Windows 10. Still the issue persists. Even they don't know what the issue is. 

So at this point I have a dead $1700 laptop a $150 service centre bill. 

Additional info: I bought this laptop from Best Buy, FL, US and currently I am in India. Lenovo doesn't have service centre to call their OWN, they have outsourced them to local firms and provide authorised ones on their website. 

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is ridiculous. I don't think Windows would come out with a solution for this. I have this issue since Windows version 1909 and now we're on Windows 20H2. Still no fix for this. And I think only a small number of people that actually have this issue that's why there is no fix available. Which is very disappointing. Windows 8 is much more reliable than Windows 10. 

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got the same issue Ryzen 7 4800hs mostly when I'm using Visual Studio. The laptop just freeze and the only way is to hold the power button and reboot the system.
What could cause this issue, I've check the error logs, but there is nothing specific?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the exact same issue. After the update to 20h2, it randomly freezes and has to be manually shut off in order to restart.

I9 9900k z390ultra 32g ram win10pro

I was 100% without issue until 20h2 dropped. Now its about 2 to 3 hours before it freezes to complete unresponsiveness.

Looking through the event viewer, its a generic error. Nothing specific to track down.

===UPDATE==

Reinstalled Windows10 Pro 20H2 via Windows Media Creation Tool. All updates, all firmware upgrades, newest drivers.

I'm still getting hangs. I'm reverting back to the update before 20H2. 20H2 is unusable in this state. I'm hard-restarting every 5-20 min depending on random factors. I've already been kicked out of a few calls.

Someone needs to seriously look into this. If it were an issue which would leave a clear log or a blue screen with a dump file, I would be able to fix it somewhere or at least know what's going on. As of now, I just get an Application Event mentioning whichever program hung first. 

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, and Microsoft needs to fix this issue ASAP and question their QA testing.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2021 Views 19,166 Applies to: