Quick Tipe: How to monitor your Windows 10 download progress

Technical Level : Basic

Summary
Windows 10 is being launched world wide at this moment. You might be staying up all night in anticipation for the new release. While you do so, you can monitor the progress of your Windows 10 download. Here's how.
Details

You can check your upgrade status by right clicking this icon in the Notification Area:

Click View download progress

Thats it

Troubleshooting

If the Get Windows 10 app remains stuck on Downloading or Working On It for an unusually long period of time; close it then restart your computer, then try upgrading manually.

Option 1:

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click Run as administrator.

Note: How to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 November Update

How to create a ISO or USB drive.

Select Upgrade this PC now then click Next

Option 2:

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1

then

then

• Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
  • Perform a clean boot, restart then try again.
  • Restart a few times then try again.
  • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). 
  • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).
  • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again. 
  • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
  • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
  • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.
  • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumb drive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

that didn't work for me

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

It just takes me to the update page, and it has been downloading for 12 hours.  I have restarted a number of times and end up with the same "progress".  How long should I wait for the download?  I have a medium fast line at 20mbps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Everytime i click the view download progress, the app just closes. How do i fix this?

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

It shows Windows 10 in Progress but when I click on the : Check your Upgrade Status , it just shows that my Upgrade is reserved.

Also,When I check for Updates through the Control panel, it shows Windows could not search for New Updates.

Error Found 80244019. This is strange, because till the 28th I was able to install the new Updates from Microsoft and everything was running fine.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

It shows Windows 10 in Progress but when I click on the : Check your Upgrade Status , it just shows that my Upgrade is reserved.

Also,When I check for Updates through the Control panel, it shows Windows could not search for New Updates.

Error Found 80244019. This is strange, because till the 28th I was able to install the new Updates from Microsoft and everything was running fine.

Thanks!

I am having the same issue.  Was it resolved?
noooo not like that

Sorry this didn't help.

I am facing the same issue and its strange there is no resolution yet. I am not even able to perform regular windows update. (Error Found 80244019) . I got the below link related to this error.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/windows-update-error-80070422-80244019-or-8ddd0018

The above did not work for me but through will just share.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am facing the same issue and its strange there is no resolution yet. I am not even able to perform regular windows update. (Error Found 80244019) . I got the below link related to this error.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/windows-update-error-80070422-80244019-or-8ddd0018

how about remove check mark on "give me update for other microsoft products" on Control Panel\Windows Update\Change settings? i have the same problem and it works for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's insane. I used the Media Tool because I was impatient, but it only took me like 10-20 minutes to actually download W10. Installation took a total of 3 hours for upgrade, 1 hour for clean install.

Sorry this didn't help.

how about remove check mark on "give me update for other microsoft products" on Control Panel\Windows Update\Change settings? i have the same problem and it works for me.

Worked for me too. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem and it's been ongoing for weeks... has anyone found a solution yet?

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated August 16, 2023 Views 83,973 Applies to: