Post a screenshot of Disk Mgmt

** Please reply in the thread where you were asked for this screenshot, not here.  If you don't have a thread yet then start one in Install category titled descriptively then explaining your issue in detail.  Comments here are only for how to make the screenshot**

Follow these steps to post your Disk Management screenshot so we can look it over for anything needing attention, or interpret it for you if interested. 

To post a screenshot of Disk Management: 

1. Right Click Start button in Windows 8/10, or type Computer Management in Start Search.

2. Select Disk Management.

3. Maximize the Disk Management Window so we can see everything. If any columns have information which is not fully displayed expand them as shown below:

Screenshot credit: Seven Forums

4. Type Snipping Tool in Start button Search box, select Snipping Tool at top, Expand New arrow to choose a Window snip, click on the Disk Management window to snap the picture, Under File tab select Save As to name and save the file to Desktop to find it easily.

5. In your thread's Reply Box, attach the picture from the location you saved using the Attach Image button.

6. If your partitions are not labeled or have outdated labels then in the Reply box explain as best you can what you believe is on each partition and any other information you think we need to know, including what OS's are installed now and where, what other OS's have been installed previously and where.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 14, 2019 Views 5,903 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Greg, as you can see, this is a mess. Some of these partitions were factory installed, such as one of the recovery partitions. The large one (519.94 GB) is the Linux partition.

I myself am surprised to see that it is primary. However, the rest of these I had nothing to do with. Obviously, Win 10 did something here, and I suspect at least one of these was installed to roll-back the upgrade to 8.1. That option was supposed to last 30 days from the time of upgrade. However, it was unavailable to me after only one day. This is now a huge problem whose resolution has some pretty severe consequences if it is not done correctly.

What is unexplained is why there are two partitions with two different file systems both assigned as drive D:.

Hello.

More details of how I got this concern are in this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/free-upgrade-fails-even-with-iso-image-will-a/b8962f71-a56f-4d7a-887e-0a1a54a839b4?page=2

I was performing a clean Win10 setup through a USB Key (ISO image); after the files were copied and some configuration happened, an auto reboot took place and I was never asked to remove the USB key, the system then rebooted from the USB key instead of the HDD, although the BIOS was setup to launch from the HDD first (I learned this the hard way). Noticing this, I stopped the process, turned the system off and removed the USB key.

When I turned the system back on (with no USB key attached) it stopped at an "Operating System not found" message. So, I rebooted and noticed that the setup added a new default record in the BIOS boot options: <Windows Boot Manager> (now I know it is for a UEFI install). This option boots to the "Operating System not found" message. I do not know if this can be erased, I just moved my <ATA HDD0...> option at the top in the BIOS boot sequence and the system booted correctly. The system continued with the setup where it left off and the process was successful at the end.

Here is a picture of how the disk is arranged:

Thanks for your comments!

It's a typical EFI install so Windows Boot Manager should be set first to boot as it is always what boots a UEFI system. 

Are you looking in BIOS/UEFI firmware at the UEFI Boot Priority order and not a separate Legacy list which sometimes appears?  

Every model is different but I've not seen HD set first before for UEFI install to GPT. 

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-19

Hello Greg,

when I installed Win10 32-bit all was completed with the MBR type. Then I performed the Win10 64-bit clean install, and it forced me to convert the disk to GPT, and the setup created all the partitions shown before (I left ~20GB free intentionally). After the setup copied the files and completed its configuration, it rebooted automatically and was about to re-start the setup again from the USB key (it shouldn't) so I stopped it there, turned off the system, remove the key and turned it back on, so that's when I got this:

Looking at the BIOS boot options, I saw this sequence:

I moved ATA HDD0 to the top, and the system was now able to boot and continue the installation through completion.

I see that the BIOS has both UEFI and MBR Legacy boot enabled. If I recall correctly, when I only leave UEFI enabled, the system can not boot. This is a Lenovo X120e with AMD processor and 4GB RAM.

All is working fine, but was curious about it.

Thanks!

Possibly because Legacy Boot is enabled the hard drive needs to be set first. 

You said that when changing the firmware settings to only UEFI enabled, it will not boot.  But are you setting Windows Boot Manager first to boot as well?  This would be the correct configuration for UEFI, so I'd try that to be sure. 

Later if you add an MBR drive with an OS needing to boot, it would need to have Legacy Boot enabled but not with only one HD/SSD clearly installed to UEFI. 

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-19

WOW  figure this one out.   2-500g drives Raid0  2-300g drives raid0

I see no evidence in the picture of RAID but if it has RAID then it will likely see problems because since Windows 7 release we've seen nothing but problems with RAID which confers no appreciable advantage now with much faster SSD's, and isn't even Redundant (its first name!) since most users lose everything if one drive dies. 

What I do see is that Disk0 holds the System partition booting C on a separate hard drive.  This can happen if extra drives are not unplugged during install.  In this case it looks like DISK0 was empty during Windows 7 install so the installer naturally writes the System Reserved boot partition to the first primary partition drive space available, then the User either didn't notice this or ignored it while choosing Disk1 for the OS install. 

The easiest solution if it isn't needed for Bitlocker is to move the System boot files to C to delete the System Reserved partition.

To move the Bootmgr to C, download and install EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required)

1) Choose BCD Backup/Repair Tab.

2) Select Change boot drive

3) Click button to Perform Action

In the popup confirm the New Boot Drive says C, click OK.

Reboot PC, confirm C is now marked System Active Boot.  You can now delete System Reserved in Disk Mgmt.  It's small space is not worth recovering.

Finally it is not advisable to separate out programs to another partition.  They write registry keys which integrate themselves into the OS and therefore should remain a part of its image. 

Windows MVP 2010-19

As requested;

The System hard drive looks correct.  What is the 8gb Unallocated for the separate Disk1?  A Flash Stick?  Right click to Create a partition to use it. 

Windows MVP 2010-19
Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice