May 21 2018 Update KB4103714 has Bricked my PC

For the 2nd time a major Windows Updated has bricked my PC. The first was the Fall Creators update. That one took out my FAT and caused me to loose thousands of files. Even after recovering some with Linux many of the files were locked down by Windows permissions and I still cannot open them even after following all the recommended procedures including using Linux. Now my new PC (1 year old) is bricked with another "update" Multiple calls to customer support  have only yielded a "that is a problem and we're working on it". It looks like this is growing problem for MS and I'm sure they are scrambling to find an answer. Unfortunately without being to use the computer AT ALL it may be difficult to get the fix into the machine. My guess is that we'll have to use an unaffected PC to download a fix onto a usb, CD or DVD drive. The thing is they have given NO TIMELINE for a fix and in the meantime our primary PC's are doorstops. This IS the last time I will have to face this problem because you know what, I can get a mac mini for less than $500 and eliminate these stupid problems that MS continues to conjure up. The whole "you must update to Windows 10" was bad enough, not the update process itself will finish you off.

Take my advice RUN don't walk away from MS.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 22, 2018 Views 106 Applies to: