KB5001337 has broken VB6 vertical scrollbar in Windows 10 version 1909

Since KB5001337 was applied to Windows 10 version 1909, the vertical scrollbar in our VB6 application now shows as a white box instead and no events are actioned from the vertical scrollbar meaning that scrolling is now disabled on all screens that use this control.

Later versions of windows 10 have not had this update and they are all working ok.

If the update is removed then the functionality starts working again.

Is there anything our customers on this version of Windows can do apart from updating to a later version of windows.

They are all on the enterprise version of windows so will still be in service for this version of windows for the foreseeable future and they did not have any plans to immediately update their version of windows and they have a vast estate to maintain so it will give them a problem to either keep the update rolled back or to upgrade to a new version of windows.

Hi Barry,
I'm David, an Independent Advisor, here to help you.

For issues involving Windows Enterprise and corporate environments, posting the question on the Microsoft Q&A guarantees a more accurate solution.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/index....

However, this problem has affected other users as well. It is reported that updating Windows to the latest version (20H2) solves this problem.
Do you have the possibility to do this in your environment right now?

Feel free to ask back any questions.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

I will post to Microsoft Q&A as you say.

In our development/testing environment we are on 20H2 and the prior version to that and the problem does not occur on those versions solely on 1909 with this particular patch. 

The customer who has the issue has thousands of machines and it is a major undertaking for them to rollback the patch and monitor to keep it rolled back or to update to a later version of windows. They had no imminent plans to update their estate to a later versions of windows and it would be an imposition if they need to but unless there is a reasonably swift alternative resolution then they will have no alternative.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Therefore, I suggest you post this case on Microsoft Q&A.
Maybe someone has a workaround that can be applied to the entire environment.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are in the exact same situation.  Thousands of machines, rollback is not feasible and no plans to update at this time to 20H2.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel your pain!

I thought I noticed that they had posted a patch for a different reported problem in the same windows update that was causing gaming performance problems and that gave me hope that they might do the same for this issue but I haven't seen anything yet.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I subsequently found

Memory usage increase after applying KB5001337 Patch - Microsoft Q&A

which says

Scroll bar controls might appear blank on the screen and not function after installing this update. This issue affects 32-bit applications running on 64-bit Windows 10 (WOW64) that create scroll bars using a superclass of the USER32.DLL SCROLLBAR window class. This issue also affects HScrollBar and VScrollBar controls that are used in Visual Basic 6 applications and the classes derived from System.Windows.Forms.ScrollBar that are used in .NET Windows Forms applications. A memory usage increase of up to 4 GB might occur in 64-bit applications when you create a scroll bar control.
Scroll bars you create using the SCROLLBAR window class or using the WS_HSCROLL and WS_VSCROLL window styles function normally. Applications that use the scroll bar control that is implemented in COMCTL32.DLL version 6 are not affected. This includes .NET Windows Forms applications that call Application.EnableVisualStyles().

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

which offers some hope.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2021 Views 1,733 Applies to: