Issues upgrading to Windows 10 1803

Trying to upgrade to the 1803 build. Getting this weird error during the prep for upgrade:

Cannot uninstall App: Hybrid laptop with Discrete GPU Connected to Display. Please uninstall manually and then refresh.

I have an Alienware 15 R3 with discreet nvidia GeForce 1070 graphics. I have updated all drivers and BIOS to latest before the upgrade, to no avail.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2019 Views 1,339 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Try this:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/109012-1803-issue-hybrid-laptop-discrete-gpu-connected-display-3.html

" had the same issue. I have an Alienware 15 R3. Failing with the same error as all of you at 49%.
But... my husband also has the same model and his update went through fine.

So it led me to wonder why?! the answer - He took "all the Alienware junk" off his and I hadn't!!

So I uninstalled Alienware update and digital delivery utility and just left Alienware command centre and Alienware onscreen display installed.

I also uninstalled the latest Nvidia driver, put my laptop into airplane mode and restarted. I let Nvidia put its basic driver back on and waited for everything else to load on my system (leaving airplane mode on). I don't personally feel this step is necessary, but if the above fails for you, then you can try it.

I then re-ran the windows update and it worked!!

So, personally I don't feel this is a microsoft fail, I think the common denominator of all the people with problems is Alienware, and those of us who have that Alienware update and digital delivery installed. "

Do not go around the block:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/hybrid-laptops-with-discrete-gpu-connected-to/3518f6b4-c267-4d38-b5b9-d5ea0c16e975?tm=1525314302049&auth=1

Side effects include not being able to wake from sleep.  Go Back to 1709 under Settings > Update & security > Recovery

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.