Invalid product key Win7 home premium upgrade to win 10

Hi, I recently upgraded to windows 10 using the installer/downloader, however installed via bootable media (due to the upgrade feature not allowing the selection of partitions/separate harddrive to install on), and for whatever reason, when entering the product key for my version of windows 7 home premium, I get the error message "The product key you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. Error Code 0xc004f050".

Is there any way for me to validate this version of windows 10 now, or did I mess something up by using a usb to install it onto a different harddrive, or is my version not valid for the free deal or....?

Hi,

Thank you for your being part of the Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues while activating Windows 10.

In order to help you better, please provide the information:

Is your product key activated on Windows 7 before upgrading to Windows 10.

To check which version of Windows 10 is installed on the Computer. Please refer to the below steps.

1. Press Windows Key + Pause/Break Key.

2. Then check which Version of Windows 10 is installed on the Computer. 

I would suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

If the above the link doesn’t help, then I would suggest you to contact the Microsoft Helpline for enquiry about the status of the Product Key.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus?wa=wsignin1.0#

Reply with the information, so that we can help you better.

Hope it helps. Contact us if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The version of windows 10 is Home, and the version of windows 7 has been activated for some time now.

The help article highlighted some problems that might be causing it, the main one being that windows 10 is installed on a separate harddrive than windows 7, with windows 7 still active. Other than that, I know my copy is genuine (I'm staring at the retail box it came in right now), and I've never had anyone other than myself use this.

There is of course the new harddrive, but I don't think that could be the cause of the issue, so it's most likely due to me using the installations media install method and installing it on another driver ather than upgrading windows 7 to 10, which is a bit silly (again, there is no option to select a partition or separate drive to install win10 on, and I wanted to install on a new, faster and clean drive).

Anyway, thank you for your help, I guess I'll try the helpline.

EDIT- Helpline said to wait 24 hours and my product should activate. I'm slightly sceptical but I guess we'll see.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

24 hours later, still saying not activated and telling me the product key I entered didn't work.

Back to live support again, I guess, hopefully not to be told to wait another 24 hours.

EDIT - Alright, just finished talking to them, apparently you cannot use the free upgrade across harddrives, and need to buy a key in order to upgrade. Which is less than ideal, so I guess I'll be installing windows 7 today.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was receiving an invalid key message when attempting to upgrade to Windows 10.  Apparently, Lenovo used the same product key as a matter of practice for their Windows 7 OEM installs.  I purchased my laptop directly from Lenovo.  Microsoft views this a leaked key and therefore, invalid for upgrade to Windows 10.  The tech support person informed me that I could purchase a new license from Microsoft.  I think that falls under the heading of 'No Duh.  

My advice for those of you who are getting the invalid product key message, perform a search before spending time with Microsoft support.  If you have a leaked key, Microsoft will not provide a valid key.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2020 Views 1,022 Applies to: