How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Feature Update 1909 using ISO File from Previous Versions of Windows 10

NOTE: If your computer has a Intel Clover Trail processor, its not compatible with Windows 10 1909, 1903, 1809, 1803, 1709 or 1703. Those computers should continue to use Windows 10 1607, which will continue to receive support until January 2023. 

Please be sure to follow me on Twitter @adacosta for the latest tips, tricks and updates in the world of Windows 10. -

Technical Level : Basic

Summary
The Windows 10 November Update is the latest revision of Microsoft's desktop operating system. The previous version, called the May Update was launched in April 2019. Users running previous versions of Windows 10 will be able to upgrade to the latest revision multiple ways. One of the most reliable and convenient ways is to use the ISO file. The ISO file provides the option of upgrading multiple systems especially for users with limited bandwidth. In this article, we show you how.

If you prefer to upgrade using Windows Update, please review the following article for instructions:

How to Install the Latest Windows 10 Feature Update Using Windows Update

Details
PSA: Create Backup Reinstall Media for Your Current Version of Windows 10 Before Upgrading to Windows 10 Feature Updates

For users running previous version of Windows such as Windows 7, Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1, you will need to purchase a license for the Windows 10, if you did not take advantage of the free upgrade offer (you might still be able to get it for free). For computers already running Windows 10 Home, Pro, Pro Education, Pro Workstation, Windows 10 S editions, Enterprise or Education versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903 you can upgrade to the latest Windows 10 Feature Update for free.

If you are upgrading from older releases of Windows, review following links:

Windows 10 Feature Updates are a part of Microsoft’s ongoing strategy to deliver Windows as a service.

How to get the Windows 10 Creators Update ISO?

The Media Creation Tool will be updated so you can download the latest version ISO containing the Windows 10 Feature Update. To learn more about how to download the ISO file, check out the following article:

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

For troubleshooting instructions, please scroll down further.

Starting the Upgrade

Boot to the Windows 10 desktop. If you have the Windows 10 ISO, you can right click the ISO file then click Mount. If you are installing from a DVD or USB thumb drive, insert or connect it, then click the on screen notification.  If setup does not start automatically, click Start > File Explorer > This PC > open the drive containing the Windows 10 setup files, then double click Setup.exe.

After mounting the ISO file, right click the drive containing the installation files then click Open.

Click Run setup.exe

Click Yes to allow the installation to Start.

Wait while setup is initialized.

You can select download and install any important updates before upgrading. This is recommended since it can help to ensure a smooth upgrade. If you are not connected to the Internet, select the Not right now radio box instead. Click Next.

Wait while setup checks for updates that might make the installation go smoothly.

Wait while Windows 10 setup checks your system for compatibility issues.   

Accept the End User License Agreement.

Wait while Windows 10 setup does one final check to ensure your system is ready.

Windows 10 setup will check if you have enough disk space. If you don’t, review the following article for instructions how to upgrade to Windows 10 feature update on a system with limited disk space:

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Feature Update on a Drive with Limited Space

Please note, you have the option of choosing what you would like to keep, which includes personal files, apps and settings.

If you want to perform a new install or just keep your files click Change what to keep. Once you have chosen the desired options, click Install to begin.

To learn more about performing a clean install: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

This will be your screen for a little while. During the installation, your computer will restart several times.

After the first restart, Windows 10 setup will resume. You will notice the setup experience has once again been refined from the previous animated circle. This will be your screen for a while. When complete, Windows 10 setup will restart automatically.

Sign into your account.

Wait while Windows 10 completes application updates and post setup tasks.

That’s it, the Windows 10 feature update is installed. You can check Windows Update for latest updates, click Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Check for Updates.

How to prepare your computer before upgrading?

Although updating to a new Windows 10 version is a relatively simple process, similar to a repair upgrade; users should perform some basic pre-requisites before initiating the upgrade.

If you are finding it difficult to carry out some of the steps described below, please review detailed instructions how to perform them:

12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.

• Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.

• Restart a few times then try again.

• Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). You can do this from the Device Manager.

• If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

• Load your BIOS then reset the BIOS defaults.

• Check if there are any available BIOS updates for your system, then apply them.

• Perform a clean boot, restart then try again.

• If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again. 

• If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.

• If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.

• If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account or upgrade based on your System Administrators discretion.

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 17, 2019 Views 945,986 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It seems the only exclusions are systems with Cloverfield processors and Enterprise versions of Windows 10.

I tried the 1709 creators update and it caused so many problems. Flickering in VR, poor frame rate even with the same drivers I've always used. My PC is for heavy duty gaming and can't have issues like this.

The really frustrating part was how it messes with the hard disk partitions. When I decided to go back to 1607 using a tried and tested backup image (Macrium reflect) it completed the restore, however my PC wouldn't boot. Kept saying that an OS could not be found. After some investigation I found that the partition where the OS should have been was no longer that partition and I had to redirect the BIOS. 

I believe that Microsoft will continue to support build 1607 far longer than they're telling everyone, especially if like me you purchased the pro version, not the free version.

Microsoft will avoid situations for litigation, and with all the issues people are having with creators for good reason. For them to purposely cease to ensure previous versions are safe and secure when there's very legitimate reasons NOT to upgrade right now if you don't want your productivity impacted, would be a law suit waiting to happen.

I can see the plaintiffs showing that they paid a lot of money for a pro licence of Windows 10 BEFORE Microsoft went down the SaaS road regarding Windows, and that due to plethora system stability/functionally issues with the creators update could not afford the impact to daily productivity as a very valid reason not to upgrade. 

I'm staying on 1607 until it's proven that the creators version (Spring Creator's Update coming soon) is at least as reliable as 1607 is.

BTW - if you have the pro version of Win 10 you can stop the prompts to update permanently.

Google it or call Microsoft for instructions.

If you have the free version and didn't pay for a Win 10 license, I think you have less leverage to be honest.

Globespy, can you give me a hint as to what I'm looking for?

I assume you are NOT referring to the various methods of postponing or preventing updates generally, but are instead referring to Microsoft's recent push to force users to upgrade from 1607 before April 2018. Is that correct?

Seems that they managed to remove the gpedit option I used to use (I guess a sneaky KB got past me at some point).

But you should still be able to achieve the same through the registry.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3080351/how-to-manage-windows-10-notification-and-upgrade-options

EDIT:

LOL, they managed to remove the registry value too! Just create a new registry entry (DWORD) and you should be good.

1709 upgrade failed so often that I finally gave up and did a completely fresh instal from bootable USB, including disc format. Seemed to go OK, but now WiFi and the SD card reader don't work. Thanks, Microsoft.

Hi Andre,

Can you tell me what you mean when you say that Windows 10 1607 will continue to receive support until 2023?

From what I can tell, support for version 1607 ends on April 10, 2018.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

And I am repeatedly prompted to upgrade to 1709 to make sure my computer is secure after April.

that only applies to users with Intel Clover Trail based CPUs, John_GANDA.

only Win10 v1607 computers using certain Intel Cloverview/Clover Trail processors, like Z2520, Z2560, Z2580, Z2760 found on certain Netbook PCs (and these processors are 32bit only and can't run 64bit Windows at all) will be getting support until 2023 and won't be upgraded to newer releases of Windows 10 like the 1703 creators update & beyond.

If your computer is NOT using these Intel Cloverview/Clover Trail CPUs, you'll be getting newer versions of Windows 10 instead (aka. feature updates).

It seems the only exclusions are systems with Cloverfield processors and Enterprise versions of Windows 10.

I tried the 1709 creators update and it caused so many problems. Flickering in VR, poor frame rate even with the same drivers I've always used. My PC is for heavy duty gaming and can't have issues like this.

The really frustrating part was how it messes with the hard disk partitions. When I decided to go back to 1607 using a tried and tested backup image (Macrium reflect) it completed the restore, however my PC wouldn't boot. Kept saying that an OS could not be found. After some investigation I found that the partition where the OS should have been was no longer that partition and I had to redirect the BIOS. 

I believe that Microsoft will continue to support build 1607 far longer than they're telling everyone, especially if like me you purchased the pro version, not the free version.

Microsoft will avoid situations for litigation, and with all the issues people are having with creators for good reason. For them to purposely cease to ensure previous versions are safe and secure when there's very legitimate reasons NOT to upgrade right now if you don't want your productivity impacted, would be a law suit waiting to happen.

I can see the plaintiffs showing that they paid a lot of money for a pro licence of Windows 10 BEFORE Microsoft went down the SaaS road regarding Windows, and that due to plethora system stability/functionally issues with the creators update could not afford the impact to daily productivity as a very valid reason not to upgrade. 

I'm staying on 1607 until it's proven that the creators version (Spring Creator's Update coming soon) is at least as reliable as 1607 is.

I'm evaluating the LTSB version of Win10 v1607 which won't bother me with any "feature updates" - I'll just be getting only security updates for 1607 until 2026.

Well, after so many attemps finally the upgrade from 1503 to 1709 has done.

1- delete or disable the antivirus before start the process, third part programs was my big problem, after that everything was smooth.

2- after that only one issue with my sound, but I reinstalled the program and everything is working fine.

I think, reading and looking for answers make me say that too many people has/had so many issues, which is not good.

Dear Andre

At first thank you for providing documentation to resolve issues in the context of windows 10 update process ...

Since many weeks I tried to update Windows 10 from version: 1511, build: 10586.1177 to a higher version e.g. 1709 ... but unfortunately there was no success ... as preparation I processed the steps you recommended e.g. 12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 and the other topics of your website ...

At least I tried using the  .ISO file to upgrade the windows 10 operating system ... but it sucks too ... only with this general message :

I tried to generate the Windows Update log by executing the cmd "Get-WindowsUpdateLog " in the power shell to get more information regarding the error, but unfortunately the symbols couldn't be resolved:

e.g.

1601.01.01 01:00:00.0000000 1328  8836                  Unknown( 10): GUID=524890e0-a6db-a018-bdf5-146836fbf25d (No Format Information found).

Do you have any idea to go on with the windows 10 update ?

I want to avoid a new clean installation of windows 10 because of many apps I have to reinstall in this case ... currently I don't know how to proceed ...

regards

antmarsmd

Dear Andre:

I have a Windows 10 version 1511, OS build 10586.1176, I tried the walkthrough on this site

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

as well as installing the updates through the Creators Update ISO. But I encountered the following error message.

Originally I was trying to upgrade through the version 1607, but while going through the trouble shooting, my laptop failed to boot up to the desktop and I had to send it to the manufacture for a system recovery.

They recovered my system to Version 1511, but yet I still can't upgrade it to 1709. Now every time I boot up my laptop, a message saying that my Windows is not longer supported appears and when there is internet access, the Windows 10 Update Assistant software runs automatically (It fails every single time during the install process, and restore my previous windows version).

You can check my previous post with this link

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-home-update-1607-to-1709/f70b5f5b-419f-4f99-9241-764b1644f40e?messageId=52825df0-26e6-4584-8c09-58d9ed1e7245

It would be appreciated if you can give me some advice.