How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 using Windows Update

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary
In addition to using an ISO file to perform an offline upgrade to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update; Windows Update will be the main method for getting the latest revision of Windows 10. Since Windows 10 launched, Microsoft has made it easy to update to new revisions. In this article, we show you how to do it.
Details

Starting the Upgrade

Boot to the Windows 10 desktop. Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Update. Click Check for Updates.

Wait while Windows prepares to download and install the Update.

When complete, follow the instructions to restart your computer.

Wait while Windows 10 is installed.

After the first restart, Windows 10 setup will resume. You will notice the setup experience has once again been refined from the previous animated circle. This will be your screen for a while. When complete, Windows 10 setup will restart automatically.

Sign into your account.

Wait while Windows 10 completes application updates and post setup tasks.

That’s it, the Windows 10 Anniversary Updates is installed.

You can check Windows Update for Updates, click Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Check for Updates.

How to prepare your computer before upgrading? 

Although updating to Windows 10 version 1607 is a relatively simple process, similar to a repair upgrade; users should perform some basic pre-requisites before initiating the upgrade.

If you are finding it difficult to carry out some of the steps described below, please review detailed instructions how to perform them:

http://windows10forum.com/blogs/entry/3-how-to-ensure-a-smooth-upgrade-to-windows-10-anniversary-update/

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.

• Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.

• Restart a few times then try again.

• Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). You can do this from the Device Manager.

• If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

• Load your BIOS the reset the BIOS defaults.

• Check if there are any available BIOS updates for your system, then apply them.

• Perform a clean boot, restart then try again.

• If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again. 

• If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.

• If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.

• If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.

Troubleshooting installation.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update not showing up in Windows Update.

Run the Windows update Troubleshooter and check if it helps: 
  1. Press “Windows + X” and select Control panel.
  2. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
  3. Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Updates.

If the problem still persist:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Typethe following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

Resources:

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 19, 2018 Views 37,267 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am just an average Joe.  Not a PC expert. 

This looks frightening to me, why do Microsoft have to make it so difficult?  If all of these steps are necessary (even as a precaution) why do Microsoft not do it automatically? I thought windows 10 was supposed to be easy and user friendly, that is a lie.  HELP!!!!

It is easy, but some of the information I included is a just in case you do encounter problems. If you are already running Windows 10, it should be smooth.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

I thought there was going to be a anniversary update 'fix' on 7/29th for lacking bookmark filters and such, was that misinformation ?

I was told about that on these forums, yet 7/29 h as come and gone and edge still has no way to alphabetize bookmarks and sometimes edge does not remember tabs so I'm using Firefox.

Was the info I saw on these forums incorrect, meaning there is no 7/29 update, and if not, when is Microsoft going to fix edge's lacking bookmark system ?

I have tons of bookmarks , imported from IE and chrome, and I can't alphabetize them, and to do it manually is impossible given the way the bookmark 'list' ( menu) is structured, and there are far far too many to manually drag/drop, it would be insane nightmare.

thx

After downloading about 7 Gb of update 1607, it failed to install three times. The error reported was 0X800705b4.

I checked for Updates several times and performed Multiple Restarts. Hopefully, I have turned off the Metered Connection, because I only have a limit of 65 Gb/month.

My current system works well, so I will be really upset if this Anniversary Edition screws things up.

The Anniversary Update released as of August 2 but I am unable to obtain it via Windows Update. I'm currently running build 10586.494 as a non-Insider on my daily driver. Please help

After downloading about 7 Gb of update 1607, it failed to install three times. The error reported was 0X800705b4.

I checked for Updates several times and performed Multiple Restarts. Hopefully, I have turned off the Metered Connection, because I only have a limit of 65 Gb/month.

My current system works well, so I will be really upset if this Anniversary Edition screws things up.

The latest status is that it has failed to install six times. I am not sure why it keeps re-downloading stuff. 

This looks frightening to me, why do Microsoft have to make it so difficult?  If all of these steps are necessary (even as a precaution) why do Microsoft not do it automatically? I thought windows 10 was supposed to be easy and user friendly, that is a lie.  HELP!!!!

If you currently have a working system, don't worry. Microsoft does such a fantastic job of forcing updates, let them fix it. A failed update is probably to your advantage, because it might create a bottleneck to future updates/problems.

If you currently have a working system, don't worry. Microsoft does such a fantastic job of forcing updates, let them fix it. A failed update is probably to your advantage, because it might create a bottleneck to future updates/problems.

Good sensible advice; I've tried the Anniversary edition - still cannot download/install after several (>5) attempts and after following all the '..try this..' approaches. Now bored and finally woken up to the fact that MS recommends I uninstall my AV to download - you know what, I don't think so as MS demanding I undo the most basic of security procedures does rather fly in the face of good old fashioned common-sense; silly me for thinking otherwise..!

I previously commented that Microsoft does a great job forcing updates. They were successful on the 7th attempt. Of course the anniversary edition caused other problems. Some s/w vendors have trouble keeping up with the Microsoft updates. This means that s/w that worked on version 8 may fail on version 8.1. Now of course the many versions of WIN10 have compounded the problems. Just when you thought you had fixed WIN10, WIN10 Anniversary is now here. Now keep in mind that WIN10-A has had 3 major upgrades, so it is time to go to the Device Manager and check to see if you have the latest drivers. For me, a right click on a folder took longer than a Restart. The problem was solved by updating my graphics driver. I can't wait to discover what will change with WIN10-B... I am sure the various Microsoft versions are flawless, providing they are installed on a virgin computer. My computer has its own great grandchildren.

On or about Sept 15th the system automatically upgraded to Windows 10 version 1511 after so many failed attempts I didn't count them.  After this upgrade, File Explorer no longer works well at all--failing frequently and shutting down most apps that may be running.  Fortunately I have not lost files.  I was hoping version 1607 would fix this problem BUT the automatic update is taking FOREVER.  And this isn't the first attempt!!!  After more than 2 hours it is at 6%...keeping in mind it could still fail.  I would like to be able to DOWNLOAD THE INSTALL FILE AND UPGRADE OFFLINE.  This is nonsense!  I use my computer for a lot more than social media---hello?!  Anybody listening?  At least Windows 7 worked for the most part!!!!!!  If I had any other option than using Windows right now, I would be gone.  So YES...developers need to TEST software on computers that have "GREAT GRANDCHILDREN" before subjecting us to the so-called "improvements".