How to upgrade or migrate from a 32 version of Windows to the 64 bit version of Windows 10.
Please be sure to follow me on Twitter @adacosta for latest tips, tricks and updates in the world of Windows 10. -
With the release of Windows 10 November Update (1511), and later versions such as the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607), you can switch directly to a 64 bit version of Windows 10 with or without a product key.
- Switching to Windows 10 64 bit is free, you don't have to pay for it. As long as you have a qualifying Windows 7 or 8 or Windows 10 license, you are entitled to use it.
- Switching requires that you perform a new installation, that means files, applications and settings will be deleted.
- You will have to reinstall applications and native 64 bit drivers.
- Backup before migrating: How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
Step 1: Download Windows 10 64 bit then create a bootable copy:
Step 2: Boot from the 64 bit Windows 10 install media, then perform a custom or clean install:
- How to: Perform a custom installation of Windows - Choose this option if you want to recover files from Windows.old
- How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10 - Choose this option if you want to erase the drive, files and applications will be deleted.
More details at groovypost.com:
How to Switch from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit Versions - The following covers switching using build 10240.