How to: Fix Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 Reporting Not Activated or Genuine after Rollback from Windows 10

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

So Windows 10 is not working out so great and you decided torollback to Windows 7 or Windows 8. After doing so though you might notice that your Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license is reporting it is not activated or not genuine. In this article, we take a look at ways you can resolve this issue.

Details

If Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 came preinstalled on your computer

If you reinstalled the correct edition of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 on your computer, then based on the OEM Marker or the OEM Recovery Discs, you should not be prompted to reactivate. Factory installed versions of Windows are already pre-activated, but if you are getting this error, here is what you can do.

Workaround 1: If you are running Windows 7 and get the 0x8007000D error after rolling back from Windows 10, run the following Microsoft Fix It first then see if it resolves the error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2230957/

Workaround 2: Enter the Product Key located on the OEM Certificate of Authenticity sticker attached to your machine. This product key can normally be found at the bottom of a laptop, in the memory or battery compartments. If it’s a desktop computer, look at the top or side of the machine or the inside of the removable panel of the system unit. See examples below:

or

Click Start, right click Computer

Click Properties

Scroll down to Windows activation.

You will notice it displays a time until Activation but be completed. Also the Product ID indicates it is using a default key, this is only for the 30 day grace period allowed until you must activate Windows 7.

Click the link, Change product key

Enter the product key located on the COA sticker located at the bottom or (sometimes in the battery compartment of your laptop), you can also find it at the top or side if its a Desktop computer.  It looks something like the following:

Proceed to enter the product key and click Next

Wait while Windows attempts to activate.

If all goes well, within a minute, you should see this screen.

You can further confirm Windows 7 is activated by checking the Windows Activation status:

Notice Windows 7 now displays OEM within the Product ID to indicate the product channel it is licensed from.

Workaround 2a: If you have a retail version of Windows 7, try phone activation using the retail product key found in the Windows 7 product box.

How to activate Windows 7 manually (activate by phone)

1. Click Start, and in the Search box type:   slui.exe  4

2. Next press the ENTER key

3. Select your Country from the list.

4. Choose the Phone Activation option.

5. Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6. Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-us

Workaround 2b: If the product key is not available or it is damaged, try retrieving the product key using ShowKeyPlus:

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkey.html

Proceed to enter it using the following procedure:

Click Start, right click Computer

Click Properties

Scroll down to Windows Activation

Click the link 'Change product key'

Workaround 2c: If the Change product key command is not available, try entering through the command prompt:

Click Start, type: CMD

Right click CMD

Click Run as adminstrator

At the command prompt, type the following commands:

slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx (allows you to replace the current product key with the specified)

xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx - represents your product key

Hit Enter on your keyboard

Exit the command prompt

Restart your computer

Workaround 2d: If the product key does not work or you were not able to find the genuine product key, the consider the following options:

Option 1:

If the COA sticker is damaged, then you would need to use the recovery partition to reinstall Windows 7, this will exempt the need to use the product key to activate your Windows 7 installation.

Option 2:

If your recovery partition is not available or damaged, you should contact the manufacturer of your computer and request a recovery disc set you can use to reinstall Windows 7. They might charge a small shipping and handling fee. This will exempt the need to use the product key also.

Option 3:

Run the Microsoft Genuine Diagnostics Tool to determine your activation status and product channel.

Sometimes Windows Activation Technologies in Windows 7 can become corrupt, to determine if it is, run the Genuine Diagnostics Tool:

Step 1: Download MSGDT here

Step 2: Once saved, run the tool.

Step 3: Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.

Step 4: To copy the report to view your results, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages), then paste (using either right click > Paste or Ctrl+V ) into a text editor such as NotePad or WordPad (preferably WordPad).

If you see the following in the report regarding File Mismatch, the follow the steps to download the appropriate fix for your architecture of Windows 7:

The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Update for Windows 7 for x86-based systems (KB971033)
Download the Update for Windows 7 for x86-based systems package now.

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB971033)
Download the Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB971033) package now.

Install the update to see if it corrects the problem.

Option 4:

If the neither options 1 or 2 is possible, then you need to invest in a new retail full version license.

To learn more about obtaining recovery media, please scroll down for further information.

Please note, these options will likely involve performing a new installation, so please backup your personal files and settings then prepare to reinstall applications and hardware drivers.

http://notebooks.com/2010/12/27/how-to-backup-to-an-external-hard-drive/
http://notebooks.com/2011/02/25/how-to-restore-a-backup-from-an-external-hard-drive-in-windows-7/

Workaround 3: If you are running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1

Review: How to: Reinstall or Restore your original Windows installation after evaluating the Windows 10

With Windows 8, Microsoft changed from stickers that have the product key which the user had to to type in when installing the operating system to new BIOS embedded product keys. The idea is that by eliminating the sticker, you eliminate one of the easier ways for nefarious users to get a legitimate product key. Eliminating the product key sticker also removes any worry that the sticker might get damaged while at the same time eliminating the long and irritating process of typing in various letters and numbers when installing the operating system.

If the user has to reinstall the operating system on a machine that came with Windows 8, the installation process automatically grabs the software product key from the motherboard BIOS with no input from the user. This means that those familiar Windows product key stickers will no longer appear on the Windows 8 computers.

If Windows 8 setup did not retrieve your key and you had to use a generic key, here is how to retrieve the product key from the BIOS.

Windows Embedded Product Key tool by Neosmart

Designed for users of Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10, our embedded product key tool will retrieve and display the Windows setup product key embedded in the BIOS or EFI, allowing you to store it for safe-keeping or use it to reinstall Windows with an official Windows setup image.

You can download it at the following link:

https://neosmart.net/blog/2014/windows-10-embedded-product-key-tool/#more-3188

Press Windows key + R

Type: slui.exe 3

Hit Enter

Enter the product key and click Next to activate over the Internet.

You can also use phone activation:

Press Windows key + X then clickRun, then type: slui.exe 4

2. Next press the 'ENTER' key

3. Select your 'Country' from the list.

4. Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.

5. Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6. Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

Contacting OEM for recovery media:

For OEM's not listed:

https://support2.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=gp;[ln];oem_index_a

What if your product key damaged, OEM refuses or cannot help with providing recovery media?

Well, the best option in this case would be to return to Windows 10 then try working through the issues. If your Windows 10 installation was activated prior to rolling back, then you should be able to reinstall Windows 10 then reactivate automatically using Digital Entitlement.

Learn more:

How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key

Customize and Personalize

After Installing Windows 10

Everyday Tasks

Forum Article Info

Last updated April 23, 2019 Views 5,477 Applies to:

Sir:

Your detailed response meant you spent time to resolve the issue.

However, I regret to state that you did not read or pay attention to my particular situation.

Your response does not address the issue at all.

Thanks for the help! My story of how I needed this: It was the summer of 2015, there was a Windows 10 update, and my desktop computer was Windows 7. I decided to upgrade to Windows 10, forgetting that my headphones were made for Windows 7. Soon after a few days, I found out that my headphones were for Windows 7 on the box, and decided to downgrade back to Windows 7. After that, my background was gone and I keep getting spammed to activate Windows. Took me 1 year to fix this problem (it didn't bother me so now I finally got annoyed of it) with the help of you!