How to fix Start Menu down arrows on brand new Windows 10 install?

This bugs me every time I build a new computer and install Windows 10 on it. It's nothing I'm doing differently than the other 30 or so computers I've built and installed Windows 10 on. I'm using a USB drive that I created with FCU from the Media Creation Tool. Most of the installs I do with it work fine on Dells or HPs or other OEMs. The Start Menu is full of bright and shinny icons.

But it seems sometimes when I install on custom hardware, like an ASUS motherboard, the Start Menu never completes filling in even though I go through the whole process of installing necessary drivers and then completely run Windows Update. I now have 12 down arrows on the start menu that should be links to programs/apps. The only thing I can do is unpin all of them and try to reconstruct what should have been there by pinning new links. But I don't know what was there and they're probably not needed for me or my customer. But it's just annoying anyway.

Does anyone know why the Start Menu icons don't complete with a brand new install on a brand new hard drive?

Moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Its either an issue with your display driver or you need to install all the latest cumulative updates for your computer.

This works for some users:

Run the Start menu troubleshooter:

http://aka.ms/diag_StartMenu

If that does not work:

Press Windows key + X
Click Task Manager
Select the Processes tab
Scroll down to Windows Explorer then select it
Click Restart

If that does not work:

uninstall your display driver:

Press Windows key + X
Click Device Manager
Expand Display adapters
Right click the current display adapter
Click Uninstall
Exit Device Manager
Restart
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, the problem is magically fixed.

- Brand new install, let Windows finish installing drivers.

- I tried a Windows Explorer restart.

- I tried to upgrade the graphics driver from the Windows provided Intel HD Graphics 510 (5/25/16) v20.19.15.4463 to the motherboard manufacturer provided (10/27/17) v23.20.16.4849. I did a reboot and WSAPPX was using high CPU and disk for about 20 seconds, I thought it was a good sign, then it stopped and nothing.

- I ran the Start Menu diag tool and it couldn't find a problem.

- I did all remaining windows updates and it's all current and still nothing.

- I ran the Start Menu diag tool again and still nothing.

- I installed Intel Rapid Storage Manager v15.9.0.1015 since all the required .NET had been installed and since only a standard Microsoft AHCI driver was installed. After the reboot the Start Menu magically appeared with all the "New" items like all the junkware games and apps. The Start Menu down arrow tiles now turned into the proper tiles.

Why installing an AHCI driver fixed the issue is beyond me.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to know you got it resolved.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Please feel free to get back if you run into any issues.
Sumit

Windows Insider MVP 2018-current and Moderator
Dell Inspiron 5590 - i5 10210U/12GB DDR4/ 4GB Nvidia MX230/ 512GB nvme
https://www.yourwindowsguide.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Please feel free to get back if you run into any issues.

Well, I found two more desktops with the same issue, but never snapped out of it, Compaq 6200 Pro Small Form Factor.

Fresh install of Windows 10 Home, installed all drivers including chipset and sata, then installed all updates. One computer has down arrows which has 2 "Explore" arrow sets which are off screen, below image, and the other just has the down arrow squares missing, so the start menu is half empty. Two identical computers with windows installed the same way at the same time, but the start menus are different. Both don't have the extra game junkware either, which is odd.

So what causes this on a brand new install? I feel this should be reported as a bug, but I'm sure Microsoft already knows about since they're tracking everything I click and probably see, including start menu performance. So why don't they do anything about these missing items?

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This happened again with a brand new install on an ASRock H170M Pro4 motherboard. Just like the picture above. The only drivers I had to install were the chipset and Intel AHCI SATA. Did all windows updates.

I did the install again this time disconnecting from the internet during the install. I then installed the chipset and SATA drivers. Then connected to the internet and saw the process "Microsoft Content (3)" run a few different times. After a minute I checked the start menu and it's full with the proper icons and even has the Microsoft games junkware. And this is even before finishing all windows updates.

Seriously, am I the only one having this problem on numerous computers with a brand new Windows 10 install!?

Why doesn't "Microsoft Content" automatically run on some installs?

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Had it happen again to a Toshiba C55-A. Installed Windows 10 Home. Installed drivers and updates, and the down arrows were still there. I reinstalled again and tried to install the chipset and sata drivers first, and that didn't work. Then I disconnected the internet during the 3rd install, then installed the chipset and sata drivers. Then I connected the internet and noticed the "Microsoft Content" process run and it fixed the Start menu.

Just now I installed Windows 10 Pro on 3 identical computer using the same USB flash drive install. Two of them updated the Start Menu correctly and are okay. But one of them never updated the Start Menu after the install and updates. I tried to install the chipset and sata drivers and reconnect the internet, but the Start Menu is stuck with 12 down arrows. I see the "Microsoft Content" process running but not much activity out of it. What gives?

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Tom,

Installing Windows 10 with its functionality may vary on different machines. Some of them may take time to complete depending on their specifications, make and model. As a Community member, we appreciate the details that you're providing us. We recommend that you share us your thoughts at the Feedback Hub if you have a spare time to make better changes on Windows 10 for the upcoming updates. Our developers are working hard to provide better features on our Windows 10 applications to be implemented. Using the collected data, the developers will come up with an update that will improve Windows operating system. In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for Feedback Hub in Cortana search, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. If possible, reproduce the problem after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form, and click Stop monitoring when you're done.
  5. Click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback, then find the items you submitted.
  8. Open the items you submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link in your response.

We appreciate your feedback.

Sorry this didn't help.

After windows 10 1709 creators revision, Uninstall your video driver (DO NOT DELETE IT)  and reboot the machine, It worked well.

I did this for a machine I worked on for a customer.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

After windows 10 1709 creators revision, Uninstall your video driver (DO NOT DELETE IT)  and reboot the machine, It worked well.

I did this for a machine I worked on for a customer.

I'll try messing with the video driver next time. But this always seems to happen BEFORE a video driver is ever installed. I can remedy the problem by reinstalling the OS a 2nd time but disconnecting the internet. Then installing chipset and video drivers, then connecting to the internet. That seems to work every time.

Next time this happens (I'm sure fairly soon as I install new Windows often on many machines) I'll install the video drivers then uninstall/reinstall them. Ridiculous hoop to jump through.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 27, 2020 Views 23,353 Applies to: