How to FIX or REMOVE Windows 10 Update Assitant

A few days ago, the Windows 10 Update Assistant appeared on my computer and prompted me to restart my computer in order to install some updates.  I let the program run, only to run into a black screen halfway through.  The only way to get out of this black screen is to hold down the power button and do a hard restart.  This black screen will not go away with time, as it stayed this way all day.  On startup, the computer turns on and off multiple times before reaching the lock screen, which is concerning as I think the update might be screwing with my computer.  When I open the computer, the Update Assistant is back, meaning that the update never finished.  

First, I tried doing the Windows Update Troubleshooter from Control Panel.  It gave me two problems with solutions, but the solutions did not fix anything.  I ran the Update again, only to find yet another inescapable black screen.

I decided that I'd be fine without the update, so I thought I could uninstall the Update Assistant and ignore it.  Five minutes after uninstalling it, the program comes right back, asking me to update my computer again.  It's like a virus!

I deleted the local files and uninstalled it, but my efforts were fruitless as it managed to reinstall itself again.

I even went to the Service Manager and pressed "stop" on the Windows Update Service, but it must have restarted the service or the Update Assistant must not be a part of the Windows Update Service.

Bitcoin mining is now impossible as I cannot leave the computer alone for more than 30 minutes without coming back to the same inescapable black screen.  Not to mention, turning on my computer has gone from 15 seconds to 5 minutes. 

Is there any way to get rid of this Update Assistant for good?

Even better, can I fix this update so that I don't get a black screen?

Certainly. Open your apps and uninstall the Windows Update Assistant app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I got the same problem too.

I did 2 laptops with no problem in one day.

The next day did the same thing to  desktop pc, but this would freeze up my pc and it went on for 2 days.

I finally shut it down, then I was working it would start doing the update again.  the desktop is windows 7, but i did the free upgrade to windows 10. Now this upgrade is really pissing me off.

I have never had any problem with my desktop until this new update came along.

my desktop is version 1607, i have it on auto for updates so i never had to think about it getting anything. Until now did my pc get a bug?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Who manufactured your processor?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Computer CLAIMS to be uninstalling the WUA, but it gets caught in a loop and isn't successful.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 10, 2021 Views 1,210 Applies to: