How to disable a faulty GPU before or during Windows 10 installation

I own an HP Pavilion dm4-2095br, which features AMD/Intel hybrid graphics cards. Unfortunately, the AMD GPU is not working anymore but is still detectable by Windows and Linux, causing both OSes to crash during installation.

Thanks to HP, my BIOS has no option regarding the hybrid graphics cards configuration, which means I cannot disable the AMD GPU through there. Also, I cannot remove the GPU from the motherboard because the GPU is soldered to it. Thankfully, Linux allows me to disable the GPU before starting the installation process by adding the parameter "radeon.runpm=0", which I can also add to GRUB once the OS is installed avoiding the faulty GPU to ever load.

But I have no idea of how I can do something similar to that on Windows 10. I know that, once the OS is properly installed, I can disable the faulty GPU through the Device Manager, but what to do if the OS does not finish installing due to the issue? How should I proceed to disable the AMD GPU before or during the Windows 10 installation?

Thank you all in advance.

Hi Gabriel,

When installing Windows 10, plug your monitor into the Intel Graphics, then the Windows installation will basically ignore it. Windows 10 installation will not bother installing drivers for that device . . .

Are you getting an error message when trying to install Windows 10 and if so, what error are you getting?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your quick reply!

When installing Windows 10, plug your monitor into the Intel Graphics, then the Windows installation will basically ignore it. Windows 10 installation will not bother installing drivers for that device . . .

How exactly should I do this? There are only one VGA and one HDMI port on my notebook with no specification to which graphic card they are related to.

Regarding error messages, sometimes the system just halts and I receive nothing, sometimes Windows 10 goes to a BSOD. The only error message I remember from the BSOD was a "video TDR failure".

Gabriel Henrique Nunes

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gabriel, generally the connection on your Motherboard will be the Intel HD Graphics card . . .

What is the Make and Exact Model no of your System?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the Make and Exact Model no of your System?

My notebook is an HP Pavilion dm4-2095br, which features a 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2620M CPU (with Intel HD Graphics 3000) and a Radeon HD 6470M GPU

Edit:

The graphic cards were designed to work as hybrid / switchable graphic cards on Windows 7, but HP did not support the upgrade to Windows 10. So, before the AMD GPU became faulty, it was already disabled through the Windows 10 Device Manager, what unfortunately did not avoid it from becoming faulty.

Gabriel Henrique Nunes

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmm. is there no option in your BIOS to set the primary GPU, so as to force your laptop to use the Intel HD graphics - it would be very unusual for that option to be missing . . .

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmm. is there no option in your BIOS to set the primary GPU, so as to force your laptop to use the Intel HD graphics - it would be very unusual for that option to be missing . . .

I agree with you, but unfortunately that is the case here.

It seems to me that HP decided to completely rely on the Windows 7 software that came with my notebook to control the graphic cards. Definitely a poor decision.

Gabriel Henrique Nunes

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried that but the issue persists. I'm now switching to Ubuntu, because I cannot think of any way to install Windows without loading this faulty GPU.

Microsoft should seriously consider allowing users some sort of command line during Windows installation. Otherwise, problems like this are unavoidable.

Gabriel Henrique Nunes

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2023 Views 7,174 Applies to: