Generic 0xc190012e trying to upgrade Windows 10 1909 to 20H2

I can't seem to upgrade to 20H2 (and I'd rather not do a clean install until nothing else works)

I did a DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and /Restorehealth and /Startcomponentcleanup - no issues -- and a sfc /scannow -- which found and corrected errors. I rolled back a different Windows update and reinstalled it without any issues.

Using the Windows 10 Update Assistant made no difference (it runs about 5 minutes before giving up). I turned off my AV. No difference. I did a clean boot. No difference. I didn't see anything in the event viewer logs that stood out. The Windows Update troubleshooter found no issues.

I did a Clean up system files. No difference. Is there anywhere I can try going to 2004 first? I can't see to find that update anywhere.

I have no external devices connected to my (Dell) laptop and the BIOS is a as new as is available. I had no problems with my 12-year-old desktop.

Dave

|
Answer
Answer

Hi all,

I had this exact same error with 0cx190012e when trying to upgrade to 20H2. After exhausting all the usual suggestions of Windows Update troubleshooter, resetting update services, safe mode etc etc, I came across a post which suggested I delete the setupconfig.ini file in C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WSUS (after backing it up of course). This then allowed me to run the update.

Hope it helps.

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2021 Views 2,047 Applies to: