Error code: 0xC004C003 on clean reinstall of activated Windows 10

Hello. I have two systems that had genuine windows 7 and 8.1 with windows 10 reservations. I upgraded both systems to windows 10 using the same ISO media and they were both activated using different Microsoft accounts. Then I clean installed both of them with the same media and now one isn't activated anymore. I'm getting Error code: 0xC004C003

When I looked up this error, apparently at the activation windows I'm supposed to click the goto store button. I did and it tells me I have a genuine copy of windows but windows won't seem to accept my key even though I verified my Microsoft account and the activation won't work!

Please advise! Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2018 Views 1,414 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

See:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-the-latest-windows-10-build/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

I don't see how that helps. I was already running activated Windows 10, having upgraded from Windows 8. After a clean install, I was still activated. I tried clean installing again because I wanted to change around my partitions. And now it says my key is blocked.

Sorry this didn't help.

Struggled with this for the last 30 minutes. Exactly the same scenario, in-place upgrade, activated, then clean install from USB. Key was there, but same activation error.

Ran slmgr /ato like crazy - same error - key is blocked. Then installed, updates, restarted two-three times. Changed volume name, computer name, tried phone activation (slui 4), didn't work... eventually I was getting you must be connected to the Internet to activate, even though I was. So I again ran slmgr /ato and voila - activated. So give it some time - not sure any of what I did helped, there's something wrong with the servers I imagine.

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope we don't have to buy new Keys... I Upgraded from windows 7 After the upgrade i checked to see if it was activated and it was... Then I Did the Clean install... Now it wont activate with the same error code.

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope we don't have to buy new Keys... I Upgraded from windows 7 After the upgrade i checked to see if it was activated and it was... Then I Did the Clean install... Now it wont activate with the same error code.

Worst case scenario, you might have to revert to Windows 7 and repeat the process, but it'd be best to wait atleast a day since Microsoft activation servers clearly have issues right now.

This doesn't affect me anymore as I got a legit license key from my university, hassle free.

Sorry this didn't help.

It just activated i guess its a waiting game... How i Fixed it is i went to Control Panel > System> Activate > Go To Store

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here, but I waited almost 48 hours already...

I tried slmgr /ato few times... same error - key is blocked...

What to do.... wait or start over....

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly the same scenario.  Yesterday I did an in place upgrade from 8.1 to 10 it said activated.  I then did a fresh install of win10 but it isn't activated and I get Error code: 0xC004C003.  Ran slmgr /ato and still get the key has been blocked error message.  I have a whole lot of software to download and install so I'm now stuck in limbo, do I wait do I revert to 8.1? (lucky I have an image of my old 8.1 install but it takes about an hour to restore to that) The whole thing is a bit of a shambles! 

Sorry this didn't help.

I am at exactly the same point in the process as you are fancyabrew (spot of milk, no sugar, nice and strong please).  I had the place of mind to make a clean, fully updated image of W8.1 prior to the in-place upgrade>clean install so I can revert to it without too much trouble. The limbo status means I've been frugal with my current program installations  which may prove fortunate as the W10 install I'm currently using has, in the last couple of hours, put up an "Activate Windows" watermark in my lower right corner.

Fun & games..

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep I too have the watermark, been like this since the weekend.  When I've got a spare few hours I'm going to do a basic win8.1 install and start the win10 upgrade process AGAIN!

Sorry this didn't help.