Error Code 0x80070456 - 0xA0019 - Windows 10 Media Creation Tool - USB Back-Up

Hi,
I've upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 with no problem.

However, I'm trying to create a back-up of Windows 10 in preparation of doing a clean refresh. I run Windows Media Creation Tool, choose USB, download Windows 10, it then verifies the download, but at about 50% of Creating Windows 10 Media I receive this message:

There was a problem running this tool

We're not sure what happened, but we're unable to run this tool on your PC. If you continue experiencing problems, reference the error code when contacting customer support. Error code: 0x80070456 - 0xA0019

My computer is an Acer Aspire V3-551-7844
AMD A6-4400M
AMD Radeon 7520G
6GB DDR3
750 GB 

It was originally installed with Windows 8 but it upgraded to Windows 10.

The USB is an HP 16GB flash drive (formatted before running Windows Media Creation Tool.

I have tried running the tool regularly and as an administrator but I'm getting the same error. Any help in resolving this would be appreciated.

Answer
Answer

Update 3/29/2017:  Make sure you are using an 8gb+ flash stick as the download files recently went over 4gb but the tool was still prompting for a 4gb stick causing failure.  Reported. 

If problems persist try another browser, another PC or another flash stick. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reset Media Creation Tool:

Right click Start Button, open Control Panel, choose Icon View, File Explorer Options, View, Check the box to Show Hidden Files, Apply. 

Open C Drive in Explorer, right click  to Delete  the folders  $windows.~WS and $windows.~BT.  You may need to Take Ownership if either won't delete.

Type Disk Cleanup in Start Search box, run Disk Cleanup,

Reinstall Media Creation Tool and run it again. 

There is also an alternate download location at
Windows 10 ISO.   Right click downloaded ISO to Mount to run Setup for Upgrade, or to have media  Burn ISO to DVD using Windows Image Burner, to flash stick using Rufus choosing UEFI/GPT if you have a UEFI BIOS, or Legacy BIOS/MBR. 

This media can be used for Repairs, running the Upgrade from desktop (right click Setup to Run as Administrator), or doing the superior Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade.

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20

223 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

FIXED: I had the same issue... turns out the Media Creation Tool tells you you need a 4GB or bigger USB drive... it's wrong. With the Anniversary Update of Windows 10 you need a 5GB or bigger USB drive. When I then tried again but with a 32GB USB drive it worked just great!

Would have been nice to have an error message that just said USB drive too small!!!

53 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2020 Views 146,591 Applies to: