Downgrade to 1607

Man did I screw up....

Windows 10 version 1607 was working great on my HP Envy 17. 

Today, I could not boot up into Windows.  I tried everything I could think of to boot, but I kept getting critical errors.

Anyway, since the forced upgrades to 1709 never worked, I downloaded the iso for the current build of version 1709 and tried to install it.  Everything seemed to install okay until I got to the 'welcome to windows' window.  At that point my system froze.  I could not use the mouse, nor the keyboard.  I was forced to re-boot.

Upon reboot, everything seems like it was going to work, until the rotating circles stopped rotating.  After waiting awhile, I had to re-boot, resulting in the same result.

Okay, maybe I had a bad 'clean' install, so I re-installed version 1709 from the downloaded iso.  Again, system freeze at the same point.  Again, freezes with the rotating circles.  Okay, it seems that 1709 is not going to work on my computer.

I looked for a safe iso of the current build of version 1607, but could not one.  Any thoughts?

(Maybe the April Creators version of Windows 10 might work on my computer, but Fall Creators version (1709) does not.)

|
Step 1: download Windows 10 1607 from the following link:
https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?sid=74a7cf5...

Choose the following:

- Windows Final
- Windows 10, version 1607
- Windows 10 Pro + Home
- English
- x64 (64 bit) x32 (32 bit)

Step 2: create a bootable copy
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Step 3: perform a custom install
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

You should backup your files before downgrading.
Applications will need to be reinstalled.
The custom install will archive your files, so you can recover them from the Windows.old folder - make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

There are some compatibility issues with Windows 10 version 1709 and certain hardware or software. There is no explanation why a lot of these problems are happening in Windows 10 1709, but the release is significantly flawed. Software and Hardware that once worked in previous versions, just suddenly stops working in Windows 10 1709 after an upgrade and sometimes loses functionality or stability.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Andre.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a recent backup prior to yesterday's crash.  I do, however, have a backup from a couple of weeks ago.  Since very little has changed, I should be able to re-create the changes.

I just wish that the Windows version upgrades were as seamless as the many linux version upgrades that I have done.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 is still maturing it seems. Hopefully, starting with version 1803, the dust will begin to settle.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 14, 2021 Views 2,945 Applies to: