Creators Update - blocking Symantec antivirus app

MS, I updated to creators update yesterday then made the mistake of afterwards updating to the latest version of Symantec AV. 

When I try to install Symantec, as I've done for the last 15+ years, I'm getting the message "this app cant run on this PC"

I talked to Symantec & they say Microsoft has blocked this app for a month or two. This is really hard to believe. This has happened in the past but luckily during a time that I didnt update to a new version & run into this problem.

I made a big decision to purchase a new Dell XPS 13 rather than a new MAC, guess which platform I'll be using in the future! This really stinks MS, I thought given that it's 2017 that I would not run into such a problem with Windows 10!

Also thanks so much to Eric @ #844-496-1216 for hanging up on me - you've helped me to decide, never will I ever purchase a windows computer again!

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2018 Views 1,184 Applies to:

You can use the built in Windows Defender Security Center in the mean time until support for Symantec AV is made available.

https://www.groovypost.com/reviews/windows-10-creators-update-feature-focus-windows-defender-security-center/

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks - yes I turned defender on, I dont have a lot of choice which I suppose is a given thing when using an MS OS. I could try installing some other AV product but I've already wasted several hours on this.

Being a first time defender user, I have a question about the time reference showing on the 'threat definitions' selection. At about 11am central time I ran the update on defender for the latest files, it installed them & the time said 8:32am 4/14. Then at 2pm I ran the update again, & the time changed to 10:34 4/14 - I called MS support to ask if this time was a pacific time reference & they really didnt know & thought it was the time from my laptop. If it was my time why didnt I have the 10:34 am update when I ran it at 11am?

Also this was hours after I turned on my laptop & wondered how long it takes for defender to update, I assume it does automatically. I'm not worried because I dont do any risky work, I work from home as a network engineer, and have decided to load my work apps on my CHROMEBOOK which is more reliable & predictable than windows 10!

I ran updates now at 6:05pm central time, my laptop has been on all day, the 'last update' still was showing 10:34 - after the update that changed to 12:22pm - why hasnt this updated automatically in the last 5 1/2 hours? I cant believe I'm running into questions about something that should be so basic. I'm definitely regretting purchasing a windows machine!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Steve,

There are lots of reasons why your Windows Defender is taking too much time to update. To resolve this issue, you would have to install the update definitions and Windows update files manually. You can check this link and follow the steps to update it manually. You can check this article: How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender.

Keep us updated and let us know if you have more questions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Right many reasons possible for any situation but not for my situation. Never had a problem having my Symantec AV kept up to date. I'm not worried if defender shows it's updated within the last day. I am aware how to update manually. There's no setting to set to manually have defender check for updates as there is on most AV apps. MS could also have a site like this! https://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions.jsp

The main question I have is when will SEP v12 be unblocked! I cant believe I even need to ask this question, thoroughly disgusted. Did we go back to 1995? Pathetic.

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft doesn't develop Symantec Antivirus, you need to contact Symantec to find out about support.

See the following thread for details about when Symantec will add support:

https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/windows-10-creators-update

You can always open Windows Defender and manually check for updates.

You can also download Windows Defender Definitions from the Malware Protection Center:

Get the latest definitions - Microsoft Malware Protection Center

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

No kidding really?! All this time I thought MS developed Symantec, wow thanx so much for that brilliant thoughtfulness & insight.

There is nothing wrong with the Symantec app or current version - it installs fine on Win versions earlier than Creators Update & of course installs fine on MAC because Apple doesnt BLOCK apps as MS does.

The fact is that MS needs to STOP BLOCKING any app or program! This is not the first time this has occurred. I'm wiping my machine & installing LINUX & MAC, the helll with this damn unpredictable MS software. LINUX & MAC do not block apps or Symantec products.

This is complete BS - I should be able to install what ever I want.

Sorry this didn't help.

Per Symantec, Microsoft is blocking the installation of SEP until May 9th, 2017, today.

https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/windows-10-creators-update#comment-11821151

Do you have an update on when Microsoft will allow the executable to install?  We have been able to install from the MSI, but this is less than desirable for a couple of reasons.  I have tried this morning, but the pc I attempted to do so on, has not received updates in a day or two, and did not find any this morning.

Will MS release the block today?

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.