Convert Windows 10 Activation to Virtual Machine

I currently have an activated version of Windows 10 on my desktop. My needs have changed and I am going to be moving to a Linux host on my desktop with a Windows virtual machine. Given that Windows 10 activation is based on your hardware, I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I understand that virtual machines have a unique identifier that can be used for this process (since I only want one virtual machine running on my one desktop).

Has anyone successfully done this? I own my copy of Windows 10 and essentially want to change to a new computer (which happens to be on the same physical hardware, but within a virtual machine). Any suggestions?

Answer
Answer

If its a full retail license or an OEM license, proceed to install Linux, then install Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine of your choice and use chat support to activate it.

Please note, if OEM Windows 10 came preinstalled, obtain the OEM key first before installing Linux:

Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 came preinstalled on my computer, how do I find the product key?

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (admin)

Enter the following command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Hit Enter

The product key will be revealed, copy the product key then enter it

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click Next to Activate

If you are unable to activate Windows 10 after all the above and you are certain you have the correct edition installed, then please attempt phone activation:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

44 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 19,503 Applies to: