Computer in lockdown

During installation of windows 10 I arrived at the blue screen which asks for my Outlook/Microsoft password. My computer has been in lockdown on that screen for3 days. 

When I enter my correct password I get an error message saying that my password is incorrect which having checked it on another laptop I know this is not the case.

My laptop is useless, none of functions work.

Any one out there got any suggestions?

Johnpatt

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

If you are referring to the lock screen, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

1. On the lock screen, click on Ease of access icon next to network connection icon.
  2. Click On Screen keyboard.
  3. Type the password and check.

I also suggest you to change the language and check.

1. On the lock screen, click on language icon next to network connection icon.
  2. Click the language to US English.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

66 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I wish I could follow you directions, my machine has no icons available my screen tells me to go password reset. I have reset my password about six times.

Tom Mylchreest

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply. However none of the first part of  your reply works.

As for the second part my computer does not function at all. So I cannot click on the language icon or change the language . As  I say my laptop is in lockdown.

Worst of all Microsoft appear in capable or are not bothered about a fix for this problem. I don't believe it should take 5 days and counting to resolve this fault.

Thanks again for trying to help.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was told to reinstall win. 7. I did as instructed to, NO success. I guess am off to Best Buy Geek Squad for a complete reformatting and instal of software.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had some progress with Microsoft but not a solution as yet.

This where we are.

I got a call back from a Microsoft techy yesterday called Henry, who was one of the most patient and helpful guys on the planet. Unfortunately we did not find the solution to the problem.

I am booked for a call back on Saturday morning with another Microsoft techy, who I hope will be able to find a solution.

Johnpatt

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this problem on my HP Mini 5101 netbook. Fortunately, upgrading it was more an experiment to find out if Windows 10 would run reasonably well on this low-end device. It's a machine I rarely use.

The issue occurred after this week's cumulative update. I'm 100% certain that I'm entering the correct password. I have changed the keyboard language from "English (New Zealand)" to "English (United States)" and back again, entering the password after each change. I've also enabled the on-screen keyboard and entered my password. Finally, I've entered my password using Caps Lock for upper-case, then used the Shift key for upper-case. No joy.

No problem (touch wood) logging into my main PC and Surface Pro 2. However, today my main PC came up with the Critical Error "Your Start menu isn't working"! I see that there's a lot more people experiencing that issue, so I imagine Microsoft will be burning the midnight oil to get a fix out. Sigh. It was all going so well too.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have the very same problem! I firstly upgraded from win7 to win 10 4 days ago. I had 2 accounts:

* Admin

* Visitor

When I upgraded to Win 10, both accounts were still there but when I sync my outlook account, it became the new Admin - replacing the existing one. So far so good but then today I received an alert to identify myself in my windows, so I did it. It asked me my phone number and they sent me a code. Then there was an option to switch the accounts, meaning getting back my old admin account, the one I always used in Win7. It asked me enter a new password, re-enter the new password and a password hint. I reset the PC and now the password doesn't work. It says it's incorrect! I'm 200% sure it's the right one! I've tried with all the password I have including my old one but no luck! It's an annoying BUG!!!!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am having this problem.  Been on tech support 3 different times and still locked out today the tech told me to take it to an IT Tech

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

If you are referring to the lock screen, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

1. On the lock screen, click on Ease of access icon next to network connection icon.
  2. Click On Screen keyboard.

I also suggest you to change the language and check.

1. On the lock screen, click on language icon next to network connection icon.
  2. Click the language to US English.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

I have done all of the troubleshooting steps that you provided and I still can't get Windows to start because it won't accept my password which I know has been entered correctly I know my password Works to get into my Microsoft account on my android phone. Previously tried to make a reset password but Windows 10 will not allow it and i had a lot of other problems. Now I can't even restore or do a clean install because it always asks for a password 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has there been a fix for this? I'm having the same issue and my call was "escalated" but I have a feeling no one will know how to fix it. And yes I've tried everything on this page (and then some). My PIN worked all day, never had a problem. My computer started running slow so I restarted it. When it came back on, it was no longer asking for my PIN, but a password. I didn't know the password, so after guessing a few times, I used another device to reset the password. Still won't take the new password, and I can't get to a system restore, factory reset, or command prompt without a password. Anyone?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 13,390 Applies to: