clean install of Windows 10 with embedded product key

I have a dell 24" AIO 7000 series computer, with embedded product key for Windows 10 HOME, 2GB hd, 16 GB Ram, running Win 10 v.1703, UEFI bios and I am trying to do a clean install. The problem is this...  I have scoured the net for an answer and I never get the actual answer to the exact question I am asking so I will try here and see what I get. I have done several clean installs on this computer which isn't really an issue. What I need to do is force the installation media to ask for my product key. I purchased a Windows 10 PRO product key but because of the WIndows 10 HOME embedded key installation will not ask for my PRO key. I have to install HOME then upgrade to PRO every time I have done a clean install. So the question... is there a way to force install to ask for my PRO key or to disable the embedded HOME key in my systems bios. I have not been able to find out if the latter is possible either.
|
I have the same - Widows 10 home laptop upgraded to pro & what I had to do is this:
Create a PID.txt file containing the following text:
[PID]
Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The Xs get replaced with your Windows 10 Pro product key. If your Windows 10 Pro activation is with a digital license, then insert the generic product key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Save the PID.txt file to the \Sources folder on your Windows 10 installation media (USB flash drive).

Windows 10 decides which version (Home or Pro) to install in the following order:

1. Finding a product key in the PID.txt file
2. Finding a product key in UEFI/BIOS
3. The user manually enters a product key when asked for one
4. No product key is found or entered - then the user is asked for Home or Pro

It’ll then install pro & activate with the pro key.
I hope this helps.
Virginia - Time Lady.

63 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Tazmaniac, at the start of the Installation routine, you should choose Windows 10 Pro from the Edition drop down. You will then normally be asked to enter a product key during the installation . . .

Unlike Windows 8, Windows 10 products keys are not stored in the BIOS, your system will have a Digital Entitlement stored on the Microsoft Server

I have installed Windows 10 on hundreds of PC's and Laptops and have always been given the opportunity to insert a product key . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

If you download the Windows 10 install media then create a bootable copy, you will see the following during setup:

https://fud.community.services.support.microsof...

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

First a little info about me. I have been working on computers since the early 80's and I have been reinstalling OS's as clean installs that long.  Now a lot has changed over the years as to how installs are done and today with the ability to boot from usb and activation via the internet it has become increasingly easier to re-set or re-install windows operating system. Aside from my personal computers which I do 2 or 3 times a year (I have 3 laptops and 2 desktops). I work at a college where I am part of the team that manages over 1000 computers and we use clean installs as a tool to help maintain them.d Whenever a computer starts acting up it's very easy to just do a clean install. So I seriously doubt anyone here has done more installs than I have.

The USB I used is a PNY 32GB USB3.0 Flash drive, the ISO was created using WIndows Media Creation Tool and the bootable USB was created using Rufus

@ Time Lady - Thank you for the correct answer you were the only one who got it right. I found a similar thread at

https://superuser.com/questions/1020961/prevent-windows-10-installer-from-using-the-preinstalled-serial-key-without-disa

which says basically the same thing but adds that you can create an ei.cfg file with the text in it of

[Channel]
Retail

save it in the sources folder of your installation media and you will get the menu window asking you which version you would like to install and based on your computers architecture (32 or 64 bit) you'll be able to select from 3 versions of windows (Home, Pro, and Enterprise).

Did I test this? Of course I did. I put my 32GB PNY flash drive into the USB port and started the install. I deleted all partitions from within the installation program and proceeded to do my clean install without the ei.cfg file in the sources folder. Sure enough no menu allowing me to select which windows version and no where to enter a PID either.

After allowing install to finish and checking the version I have a brand new copy of WIndows Home installed on my computer. Just as I expected.

Next step without removing flash drive just so the conditions remained constant and nothing changed except adding of the ei.cfg file which I created in notepad and saved in the sources folder of my installation media. I rebooted my computer, selected installation media, deleted all partitions and before it started copying files I got a menu asking which version of windows would I like to install. I selected Windows Pro and proceeded with the clean install. Once the install finished I verified which version was installed and found out that the correct OS Win 10 Pro was now on my computer. Only thing was that I still never got an option to enter PID. I checked and install used a generic PID. I found a config file called product.inf on the install media that listed all the windows versions including server versions and their generic PID values. I am sure install pulled from here. So Thank You Time Lady!!!

@DaveM121 WIndows 10 still stores PID in bios. Digital entitlement is only under a select number of instances and upgrading using a PID is not one of them. See this link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation1

also I check PID using ProduKey from Nir Software

Web Site: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

here you can clearly see the BIOS key listed and different from the generic WIndows 10 Pro key

@Andre De Costa although your information is technically correct it never really addressed the real question because you don't always get the option to choose the version and/or enter the PID.

I know I can change the PID from the generic one to mine but at this point I don't see the need. I got the result I wanted which was to install Windows 10 Pro in one pass on a machine with an embedded PID for a different OS version.

24 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 31, 2021 Views 28,965 Applies to: