Question

Q: Can you upgrade to Windows 10 again after downgrading to Windows 8.1?

I am having too much trouble with Windows 10. (Laptop won't wake up from sleep or shut down correctly, and startup time increased significantly.) Therefore, I'm considering downgrading back to Windows 8.1 and waiting a few moths for all these issues to be solved. So, could I upgrade again to Windows 10 after downgrading from it?

Answer

A:

Hi Martin,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that Windows 10 can upgraded and Downgraded as many times as you want within a year provided that there is no hardware changes, such as hard disk, Mother board etc.

I suggest you to download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation Tool and then perform Automatic Repair.

Steps to Repair the Windows 10:

Refer to the following link to download Windows 10 ISO Media

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Note: Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool " in the above article for creating the tool.

Once you have the installation media, follow the steps: 

1. Start your computer from the installation media. Insert the disk or USB stick and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the disk or USB. When you see the 'Install Windows' page, tap or click 'Repair your computer' link to start the Windows Recovery Environment.
  2. In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, click 'Troubleshoot'.
  3. Click, Advanced Options and then click on 'Automatic Repair'.
  4. After this complete the repair and see if you are able to boot in to your computer.

If repairing does not work you may follow below steps and downgrade Windows 10

Steps to Downgrade Windows 10 to the previous Operating System.

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

1. Start by opening Settings – Click Start > Settings or type Settings in the search bar and click it or press Windows key + i.
  2. Click Update and Security
  3. Click Recovery then click Get started under Go back to Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (depending on the previous version you running).
  4. Here you can make multiple selections why are going back to your previous version of Windows along with additional details or you can choose just one and click Next.
  5. Make sure you have your password ready to sign into your old version if you had been using one. Click Next.
  6. The process can take a while depending on the amount data, applications and settings. Click Next.
  7. Click Go Back to begin the process.
  8. Windows 10 will Restart, This will be your screen throughout the recovery process.

Note: As noted, any configurations made to Windows 10 since upgrading will be lost, so if you installed new programs or hardware drivers or made personal settings, those will be deleted.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

Hi,

Yes, you can install Windows 10. Please follow the steps above provided by Prabhavathi Patil.

Keep us posted. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 9,469 Last updated: June 22, 2018 Applies to: