Question

Q: After Win 10 Installation, repeated BSOD

I just performed the pushed Win 10 upgrade. Everything seemed to go fine, until the system completed installation. When the system performs what seems to be a normal start, I get to what looks like a good start, then a BSOD with a "System Thread Exception Not Handled pops up. And I go into a loop. There is very little time to do anything before I'm locked out. I performed the pre-update check and my system showed as acceptable. Computer is a Dell XPS 8100 that is about 5 years old. Video card is a Geforce GTS240 (stock). Of course I can't get into the system to see if my driver is updated. {I've  seen multiple references in older posts to vid problems.] Appreciate some help - would be nice to hear from MS direct.

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I suggest you to try the following methods and check:

Method1:

Perform Hardware Clean Boot:

Here’s the procedure to do it:
Unplug all the  External Devices (except Mouse and Keyboard)

• Press Windows+X key and select Device Manager.
  • In the device manager Expand display adapter and right click on the display adapter and try to disable and try to boot to the desktop.

Note: Devices that can be disabled for doing a Hardware clean boot are:

a)     Display Adapters.

b)     Sound, video and game controllers.

c)     Network Adapters.

d)     USB Devices and controller (Please don’t disable this if you are using USB keyboard or Mouse or Wireless Keyboard or mouse).

e)     DVD/CD-ROM drives.

f)      Modems

g)     Ports

Method 2:
Perform a Clean Boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. If everything works fine after a clean boot, you can infer that some third party services are causing the problem. Proceed with the remaining steps to pin-point out the third party service. After you figure out the problem causing program, you may have to update or install a higher version of the program, if you seldom use that software you can consider uninstalling it.

Refer to the following Microsoft Article for performing Clean Boot:https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

Disclaimer: Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting” to boot the computer in normal mode.

NOTE: The links provided holds good for Windows 10 .

Method 3:

Perform chkdsk and see if that helps.

Chkdsk is a system tool which verifies the file system integrity and fixes system errors. Here is the steps:

1. Press Windows+X.

2. Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

3. Type the command Chkdsk /f/r.

4. Hit Enter. 

Chkdsk disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, while the bad sectors might be recovered however there might be pertinent data loss.

Hope it helps. Let us know the updated status and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 56 Last updated: December 28, 2017 Applies to: