Activation Error 0x803F7001 - Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709

My workplace has a volume license activation code for Windows 10 Pro. We just started slowly installing and deploying images on our computers early this year when the Anniversary Update was the current release. Most of our computers didn't start receiving the 1703 Creators Update until July and August, but that didn't really affect computers deployed with this image.

Today, when the Fall Creators Update was released through Window Update, we installed it on two of our computers that hadn't been assigned to anyone yet. In the settings, under the Update>Activation section, it showed the last 5 characters of our volume license product key prior to the Fall Creators Update. After the update was complete, both of these computers showed that Windows was not activated. After the upgrade, the last 5 characters of the product key was changed to the same sequence of characters on these two computers, but it is completely different from our actual volume license.

When we enter our product key to try to reactivate Windows, we get error code 0x803F7001. We have probably around 75 Windows 10 computers deployed throughout the company with this volume license. It is looking like they are all going to be deactivated. Does anyone know how we can resolve this, or is it possibly a temporary issue with the activation server that will sort itself out?  At some point when trying to troubleshoot the issue, the computers give a message about trouble communicating with the activation server and to make sure the computer is online. Both computers are able to connect to the internet with no issues outside of the activation process.

Question Info

Last updated September 1, 2019 Views 21,005 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Give it a few days, it should activate automatically. The machines have a digital license, so that should ensure the machines maintain their activation status.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yesterday, I decided to verify that the volume license key was still working with 16299.15 on a clean installation. First, I took an image of one of the updated computers. 

I used the latest media creation tool and entered the volume license product key during setup. Once Windows 10 build 16299.15 was complete, the activation page in the settings shows "Windows is activated with a digital license."

I restored the disk image of the unactivated installation of Windows 10 back to the same computer. Now this computer shows that it is activated with a digital license, but there is still a message below that states, "The last product key (ID: 25 digits not matching our product key) you entered can't be used on this copy of Windows. (0x803F7001)."

The second computer with the activation issue still has a message at the top of the activation settings page stating "Unable to reach Windows activation servers. Below that, it has the same message quoted above except the 25 digit ID is a different alphanumeric sequence."

Is the best advise still to wait a few days for the activation servers to reactivate these computers? I don't know how many other computers in our company have already been updated and experienced the same issue. I'm currently waiting for another computer to finish the update after being powered off for the past 2 months to see if it ends up in the same deactivated state.

Update: After installing all the cumulative updates for Windows 10 1703, Windows Update reports that this third computer is up to date. It was configured from the same disk image as the other two PC's and the same computer model. Is it possible that the Fall Creators Update is now being delayed due to this activation error?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I have 2 machines doing the same thing.  I reloaded one from scratch with new version 1709 edu & it activated with the same key.  Would not reactivate after the update from WSUS.  The other is a test machine so I will see what it does in a few days.  Hopefully Microsoft will fix.  I have yet to deploy win10 yet and am really scared to at this point. I am the only user in my organization that uses so far. I am using mak keys right now, but will do kms whenever i get ready to deploy 10.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

From elevated cmd:

slmgr /upk

You've just uninstalled your product key.

slmgr -ipk the-same-product-key

Windows 10 should activate again.

Br,

Edi

104 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I can confirm this worked to solve the issue from the OP. Thanks EdiDako for this info!!

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

From elevated cmd:

slmgr /upk

You've just uninstalled your product key.

slmgr -ipk the-same-product-key

Windows 10 should activate again.

Br,

Edi

This worked for the first PC I tried it on. One of our computers took about a week to find the 1709 update (hadn't been turned on for about a month prior to the release of the Fall Creators Update. It just finished installing the update this morning (October 25) and got deactivated just like the previous 2 computers.

I was able to uninstall and reinstall the product key using the commands in Edi's reply, but I still can't get this computer to activate.

Activation status shows "Unable to reach Windows activation servers." When I try to change the product key, it is giving me the same error message as before.

We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. If you think you do have a valid license or key, select Troubleshoot below. (0x803f7001).

Update: When running the troubleshooter, it gives this information.

We can't activate your copy of Windows. Make sure you're connected to the internet and try again. If you're connected to the internet and continue seeing this problem, contact your system administrator for more information.

This computer is definitely connected to the internet, and as part of the IT help desk, I'm one of the system administrators. Nobody else here has any more information about this than I do.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Poit57, my situation was nearly identical. I had 10 laptops that were to be shipped to another branch of my company, but I wanted them fully activated so the users wouldn't receive a machine that says "not activated", and/or stick the HelpDesk tech there with that issue.

The difference is, I'd spent almost 1hr being bounced around Microsoft (overseas) support queues, and the only good info I received is that I had 2 VL keys that are in my images, but they verified that one was for sure a digital VL that should have no issues activating. They then asked me to submit a ticket online-which I did not, because I found this post and reinstalled the "verified" key. It then took about 10 seconds and it activated. For some, I had to let them bake for a couple minutes.

So basically, might seem like a pain, but I'd give MS a call just to verify that the key you have has no issues (assuming you haven't already). GL!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I encountered the same "Unable to reach Windows activation servers" error. The following seemed to have solved it:

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt.

2. Give the following command: slmgr /ato

The option /ato forces online activation. Don't ask me why this command is able to reach the Windows activation server and the normal Activation Window isn't.

Edit: Ignore what I said above. I had six machines which showed the "Unable to reach Windows activation servers" error yesterday after restoring an image on them. Today they seem to activate correctly after running for a while. Checked it with command "slmgr /dli" and the License Status showed Licensed. Went into the normal Activation screen and the "Unable to reach Windows activation servers" error was gone. Not sure if Microsoft changed something on their end or if it just takes some time for a system to be activated correctly.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar issue.  Fall update did not install through windows update, it failed several times.  My PC started to experience issues including the loss of ALL MS Office programs (bizarre!) and BSOD reporting memory issues.  I have checked the memory using a number of tools and there are no issues.  I have also reloaded MS Office but Access fails to install.

No problems were experienced prior to Windows update executing the fall update.  Suspecting the failed download could be the problem a searched to find if others had experienced similar issues. The general thread was to install via the MS website, which i have done and the fall version is now installed, BUT i am now getting windows activation prompts and still experiencing BSOD for memory related problems.  I have tried the suggested slmgr /ato and receive the message 'error product not found' and windows activation just hangs, and i have zero confidnce in replies from MS suggesting to 'give it a few days'.

In addition to this on installation of the MS update, i had no sound windows reporting no speakers connected.  I have removed and reinstalled Asus Xonar D2X and ASUS motherboard (Realtek) sound drivers and have not solved the issue.  Troubleshooting has no effect.

Motherboard is a P8Z77-V Deluxe updated to the latest BIOS.

If anyone has any idea on what my next move should be please respond!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andrew,

As per reading your post, it seems you were able to successfully install the Fall Creators Update but having other concerns, is that correct?

In case you have a different issue, we suggest creating a new thread for better assistance from our Community.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.