0xc1900101-0x40017 the installation failed in the second boot phrase with an error during boot operation (Surface Pro 128)

I have attempted to upgrade to Windows 10 and each time, the same hard stop occurs with the message, "0xc1900101-0x40017 the installation failed in the second boot phrase with an error during boot operation".

The following upgrade process has been tried and each have failed to successfully upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

1) Upgrade Now method (failed - same error message)

2) Upgrade USB method (failed - same error message)

3) Upgrade ISO method (failed - same error message)

Additional steps were taken to secure a successful upgrade:

1) Remove MicroSDXC memory card

2) Disable Bluetooth devices from device manager

When an attempt to force load the ISO DVD by loading the UEFI BIOS, there are 5 options to select

Trusted Platform Module (TPM) [Enabled]

Secure Boot Control [Enabled]

Install Default Secure Boot Keys

Delete All Secure Boot Keys

Exit Setup

In that order.

At this point, I am not sure of which option to select to force upgrade or fresh install Windows 10. I only know that when attempting to upgrade with the above 3 methods, each one fails with the same message.

A message to Microsoft. Please do not provide the standard do this, do that uninstall this install that. We need a fix to this issue. If this is occurring to me, then it must be happening with many, many others. The only thing that has been done to this Surface Pro is that it has had an upgrade to 8.1 from 8.0 and all the patches that Microsoft has provided. Nothing else has this system had a modification. With that being said, there should be an answer to this issue fairly quick.

Answer
Answer

Hi, 

I had a similar issue. I was trying to upgrade from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10. Failed at second boot stage. After disabling driver signature in advanced booting setting I have managed to continue with upgrade.

Good luck!

P. S. Dear Microsoft, please think at least once about users and do something right!

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2020 Views 19,726 Applies to: