0x80070057-0x2000A windows 10 installation error

Hi guys,

I'm having a terrible time trying to upgrade my laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  No matter what I do, the installation fails and my old operating system is reloaded.  I get the following error:

0x80070057-0x2000A 

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase iwth and error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation

Can anyone offer some assistance or ideas on how to fix this problem?  I'm Ok with wiping the drive and doing a clean install, but I don't know how to do this with the upgrade.  (I did download the upgrade onto a USB drive.)  

Thanks,

Eric

Answer
Answer
  • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). 
  • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
  • Perform a clean boot, restart then try again.
  • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again. 
  • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
  • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
  • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.
  • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

Also:

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2020 Views 5,640 Applies to: