Windows 7 activation key doesnt work in the free windows 10 upgrade

I've recently installed windows 10 pro and it works fine, but it still asks to activate a product key. It seems to use a generic key and I tried changing it to my windows 7 professional key, but it isn't recognized. My windows 7 professional key is from the windows 7 professional upgrade DVD I bought years ago. My windows 7 professional version worked fine and it is a legal and valid key, but windows 10 doesn't recognize it. The windows 7 professional is only active on my own computer.

I've looked up some possible issues and it seems the key needs to be converted into a windows 10 key and it seems that hasn't happened. There are also some other issues which are a bit unclear to me. I read that the conversion may only be active on 1 device, but if I buy a new computer and/or sell the old one will I still be able to use my windows 7 DVD instead of windows 10? or will the windows 7 key be marked invalid if converted to a windows 10 key?

Is there a time limit in which I have to activate a windows 10 key? What are the consequences of not activating a key other than the watermark?

I tried calling the activation centre from the list of phonenumbers on the Microsoft site but it is an automated tape and ask for an install id. Seeing as I cant enter the product key I cant get to the call activation centre on my pc thus I dont have the id and cant continue with the phone.

Hi,

How did you install Windows 10, by using a Windows update or ISO file?

If you have selected wrong edition of Windows or if you clean install Windows 10, it may ask for the Product Key.

What is the error message you receive, when you try to activate?

Why can't I activate Windows 10?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/can-i-clean-re-install-windows-10-after-upgrading/f59fb5bd-21a5-4010-8a39-7b975611b73b?tm=1438203002881

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I installed the upgrade using an USB created by the mediacreationtool. I used the 64bit version because my installed windows 7 is also a 64bit version.

Seeing as the windows 7 version is professional i believe i should also install the windows 10 professional version which is what i did.

The error message I get when trying to change the key in windows 10 to the windows 7 key is 0xC004F050 which I looked up means invalid key. Again this key worked fine on windows 7. I wont post my key here but if there is an official channel where it can be verified I'm willing to send it there.

My question about the validity of the windows 7 key should I install windows 7 again still hasn't been answered. Nor what happens should activating windows 10 fail.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would really like some help. I still can't activate windows 10 and my other questions haven't been answered either. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

If you have an genuine copy of Windows 7, you can install Windows 10 by using ISO and media creation tool. I would suggest you to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7 and then install Windows 10 using an ISO.

Refer the link below to Roll back to previous version of Windows from Windows 10:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-downgrade-rights/58e29e48-c1bf-456d-bd9f-c8917d9fb2a1

To download ISO of Windows 10, refer the below link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

For additional information on common Product key issues in Windows 10:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-and-resolve-common-product-key/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Hope this helps. If you face any issues with Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll try that later there are a few issues I have with windows 10 so I want to know a few things before I upgrade again. I have already asked the questions but haven't seen an answer yet.

Will the windows 7 key be invalid after the upgrade?

The backwards compatability in windows 10 doesn't always work. The backwards compatibility of windows 7 doesn't always work either. Hence I want to convert my windows xp - windows 7 dual boot to a windows xp- windows 7 - windows 10 triple boot. I have installed windows 7 again and the triple boot works fine other than the fact that windows 10 still isn't active.

If I upgrade windows 7 to 10 succesfully this time and the key will be converted can I still reinstall windows 7?

Again I prefer to somehow get a windows 10 key for my legit windows 7 key (any number I can call?) as that would save me a lot of time reupgrading, removing the then duplicate windows 10 and reinstalling windows 7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please have a look at this thread which discusses a similar concern.

Hope the information provided was helpful and do let us know if you need any assistance in the future. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 9, 2021 Views 1,408 Applies to: