Windows 10 upgarde error 0x80070070

OT- windows 10 upgrade

when i try to upgrade to windows 10 it checks my quipment and says it is ok, when i click download it gives me an error code 0x80070070 and says not enough disk space

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2019 Views 17,452 Applies to:

Hi Joseph,

We're sorry to hear the inconvenience you have experienced. Let us know few things to help you in this regard.

* Do you have enough memory on the drive letter, on which you're trying to install Windows 10?(I.e.Like C: or D: Drive )

If you receive Windows Update error 0x80070070 or 80070070, it means that there isn't enough drive space on your PC to install Windows upgrade. You can uninstall apps you don't use, delete or archive files you no longer need, or add removable storage to free up space.

Try to free up your disk space by using Disk Clean Up and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key and type 'cleanmgr'(without quotes) and hit Enter Key.
  2. In the Disk Cleanup dialog box in the Description section, tap or click Clean up system files. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

3. If prompted, tap or click the drive that you want to clean up, and then tap or click OK.

4. In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, select the check boxes for the file types that you want to delete, and then tap or click OK.

5. In the message that appears, tap or click Delete files.

6. Go back to Computer in File Explorer, tap or click the drive you cleaned up, and then tap or click Refresh.

Hope this will address your query.

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the same problem

C drive has over 500 GB of space but the Windows 10 upgrade is trying to write to the substantially smaller "D" recovery drive which only as 3 GB available.

Is there a way to direct the Windows 10 Upgrade program to use the "C" drive?   (I'd rather not have to repartition the computer.)

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

After getting the 3 check marks, I get the same error code 0x80070070, not enough disk space.  I cleaned out everything I could, even the Asus applications, it shows I have 16.3 Gb of space.  What next?

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem seems to be that it is trying to install 10 on the recovery drive, not the C drive, which is less than 1/4 full. 

I can't seem to find an answer how to get 10 to install on C and not recovery D drive.  Help?  It seems 10 reserved all the space available on recovery and now I can't even do a restore.  It says 0 bytes used, but the drive shows almost full. 

I do not want to have to enlarge my recovery drive.  The specs said it is about 20 GB to install 10, so I'm really confused on why this is happening and how to fix it before  the upgrade period ends on 7/29. 

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem as you GEM, I want to figure out why it's trying to write to the D drive instead of the C://

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

To anyone still trying to upgrade and getting 0x80070070 error message, or do not have enough disk space, I found a solution that worked for me.  Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download the media creation tool.  You will need an empty thumb drive, then run the program.  I went with the Upgrade this PC now option.  It took a couple of hours, but Windows 10 got installed.  I ran the program again, and did the Create installation media for another PC option on the thumb drive so I can do a clean installation later if needed.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My "solution" was to repartition the hard dive with Disk Management.   I extracted space from "C" sufficient for the installation, relabeled the old "D" recovery drive to "G", and created a new "D" drive.   The Windows 10 Upgrade successfully wrote to the new "D" and I was able to complete the installation.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for sharing the information with us. This may help user to find a solution for similar kind of issues.

I appreciate JosephKuennen for providing the steps that fixed the issue. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.        

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using tablet **** laptop which does not have a hard drive. Internal memory is limited. but I still uninstalled some programms and delete files to make more than 16 GB free. Now, when it starts downloading of the upgrade, something goes wrong in between and because some content is downloaded, memory becomes less than 16 GB and I have to restart every process including deletion of partly downloaded content.

Please advise and help asap.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.