Windows 10 Update: PC Won't Start

Alright so I've got 2 PC's, The first one I got the Windows 10 update working fine, took about an hour and a half, but now the second one just won't work. So after I updated my first one I started the second one, and it got to the point where there are the 3 tasks that need to be done. As soon as the first one started, I had to leave for about an 2 hours, and as soon as I come back it was at a black screen with no mouse cursor. I thought that was odd, because on my first pc it booted up the Windows 10 start-up. So I restarted my pc, and all that happens is it loads the "ASUS" part just fine and right as that is done it just goes to the black screen. This has happened 3 times until I started this question. Now the black screen, the monitor IS ON, the light is on and the backlight of the monitor is on, and my pc is on, but it's still just sitting there. Now I'm worried that my second 4 month year old pc is broken :(   Could it be because something went wrong with the Windows 10 upgrade while I was gone? Please respond, I'm very worried, it was a very expensive piece of equipment.
Ok so it finally booted after I did this: I restarted it, waited until it got to the black screen, clicked "Enter" typed my password, and clicked "Enter" again, and after 30 seconds it booted to my desktop. BUT now my icons are GONE and I can't get any windows to open. I hover my mouse over an object like Internet Explorer, and it says that it's working fine then I click to expand it and nothing happens (I'm not dumb I've used PCs for years now) and it's not expanding anything. My mouse is working fine, I can click things and my keyboard is too, but again nothing is working. And to try to fix the issue, I clicked ctrl, alt, del, and it booted to the black screen AGAIN. I then clicked the down arrow 3 times and hit enter and at the bottom where my tool bar is the task manager popped up and again, I hover over it, click it and it doesn't expand. I'm afraid of restarting my pc and having to do it all over again. Please help, I am very VERY upset and can't believe that a Windows 10 update works fine on my 2 year old pc but not on my 4 month year old pc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Buck,

We apologize for the delay in response and will help you with the issue.

This black screen issue can be due to the Graphics Card but that necessarily may or may not be the only cause. 

Method 1: Install the latest graphics driver from the manufacturer's Website and see if this fixes the issue.

1. Press Windows key + R, type “devmgmt.msc” in the run prompt.
  2. Expand the Display Adapter, right-click the Graphics card and click Properties.
  3. Go to the Driver tab and Click Uninstall.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Go to the manufacturer's site and install the latest Graphics drivers.

Method 2: If the issue is not fixed I would suggest you go to the safe mode and check if the issue is not related to the hardware:

To go to Safe mode follow the steps below:
a. Click on Windows key, and in the Power Options click on Restart while pressing the shift key.
b. A blue screen will appear with a few options.
Click on Troubleshoot > Advanced Settings > Startup Settings > Restart.
c. Your system will automatically restart, press 4 or F4 key to go to the Safe Mode.
If you do not face the same issue in the safe mode, try doing a clean boot

To disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot.

Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note:After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"  

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2020 Views 2,322 Applies to: