Windows 10 update from sunset version 10240 still failing after something like a year

Windows 10 update from version 10240 has failed since the first time i tried it about a year ago.

Fails at "Set SafeOS boot entry as the default boot entry."

My computer has an SSD as its boot drive. 

I am seeing this same situation on interweb questions dating all the way back to windows 8.1. Folks were trying to update 8.1 to preview of 10 but couldn't due to SSD related error.

Can Windows 10 really not handle the presence of an SSD as boot device after 2 years of update errors reported involving updates when somebody has an SSD?

I tried the upgrade problem fixer. I downloaded the ISO, burned to DVD, ran the update from there. No luck. Microsoft just can't handle the truth, which is that SSDs are boot drives these days, and have been for at least a couple years. I submit error reports but nothing has changed in a ~year.

Now today I get a big alert saying version 10240 is doomed and I won't receive any further updates because Microsoft can't be bothered with that anymore.Windows 10. Already obsolete.  No advance warning, just "the Microsoft product you bought a little over a year ago as "the final version of Windows" is now already obsolete and insecure and unusable due to the virus you're going to catch in about 3 months that will encrypt everything and demand $300." yay. thanks microsoft. How do I roll back to Windows 7? You gave up on Windows 10 already, but windows 7 is still supported right? I can understand that, I guess. Windows 7 worked.  Ah I see Windows 7 is good thru January 14, 2020.  My Windows 10, though, already obsolete.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Have you checked the manufacturers website to determine compatibility?

Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10 Creators Update or Anniversary Update or Not

You should also follow Microsoft's advisory and upgrade only when offered through Windows Update:

Microsoft Slows Rollout of Windows 10 Creators Update based on Customer Feedback

If must upgrade, perform the following tasks:

12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703)

Then try upgrading again with the ISO

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 using ISO File from Versions 1507, 1511 and 1607

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 10 was preinstalled on my computer so I am fairly certain it's compatible

I added an SSD as boot device on the very day I bought the computer and moved Windows 10 to the SSD. Everything works fine since then except this version update apparently attempting to write to the MBR. Y'all need to address the SSD situation, as it's pretty common scenario.

For serious if you bought a new Volvo but within a year Volvo was telling you to spend countless hours trying to fix it yourself or you wouldn't be able to drive it anymore, what would you do

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft asked me to come here and reply that "my" problem still is not solved.  But when Microsoft's self-installing update of Windows 10 fails every single time at booting into SafeOS, that is Microsoft's problem (not mine!) until I have to spend my time rolling my hardware back to Windows 7 which will last for a few more years despite my Windows 10's manufactured obsolescence causing its ongoing very near death experiences.  Error reporting has been sending Setup's logs to Microsoft for about a year, so why is my Windows 10 still defective and still fixing to implode?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There's nothing wrong in Windows 10 to have an SSD as the boot device. I changed mine from HDD to SSD some time ago and clean installed windows to the SSD.

If the device came with Windows 10 you cannot roll back to Windows 7. You could clean install Windows 7 if there are drivers available for the hardware.

Did you clone your HDD to the SSD when you fitted the SSD. Or how did you move windows. Are you able to fit the HDD back into the device and try the update.

With regard to support for Windows 10. It continues to exist if you are able to update to the later versions as they are available. You will see support for the latest version/build is 2025.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I cloned Windows to the SSD. 

I found better support suggestions elsewhere and have fixed my Microsoft Windows 10 problem. Had to remove all hard drives except the SSD. Then the upgrade from 10240 worked. 

So much for my Friday night, though.  Seems I have paid for my "free" upgrade with my Friday night. 

Thanks Windows 10!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh joy, it rearranged my hard drive letters.  Fixed that but now my SQL server can't be connected to.  "Your programs and files will be right where you left them" ... Yeah right!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems my SQL server can't be connected to after updating Windows 10 because the Windows 10 update wiped SQL Server 2014 Express clean off my computer.

Awesome winning there.  Here goes more of "my" time...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It may be that version is incompatible with the latest Windows 10. The update process will remove and incompatible software but it usually prompts first.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Um, No, the problem is that SQL Server Express 2014 was installed on the hard drive that Microsoft's broken yet required update forced me to remove physically from my computer so my sunsetted Windows 10 could be updated and thus not hijacked by ransomware guys wanting $300 for my decrypting my documents. I assume this will be an ongoing nuisance for however much longer I keep my Windows 10 computer off the firing range.  Try to figure it out, Microsoft... People add SSDs to computers...  People install stuff on the D: drive.   It's not something that can't be sorted .. Well, it shouldn't be something that can't be sorted, but apparently it IS something that's Microsoft can't sort!!  Y'all need to get it together.   NOTE TO ALL SSD WINDOWS 10 UPDATE USERS - WHATEVER IS INSTALLED ON THE DRIVE YOU MUST REMOVE TO UPDATE YOUR WINDOWS 10, IT WONT WORK ANYMORE AFTER YOU UPDATE!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems the Windows 10 mandatory version update also ate my CuteFTP server. BUH BYE CuteFTP Server, I miss you.

This mandatory Windows 10 version update is a damned nightmare.  I had to fight and fight to make it work, and when it finally installed, it totally screwed me over. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2018 Views 139 Applies to: