Windows 10 Slow and Basically Worthless

As I continue to update Windows 10, I hope for better things instead my laptop is basically useless for the first 20 minutes when I turn it on. Windows services are constantly updating and using 100% of my hard drive and 75% of my memory. Even with a SATA drive I still can barely use my laptop until windows update all of it's services.

Now lets talk about how Cortana is junk. I hate it. I never use it and want it off my laptop. Why would I use it? I understand how to search for files on my computer. I can also search the internet. I am not an idiot and do not need the help of Cortana. All Cortana does is use up valuable resources that could be used for other productive apps or programs. 

All in all I am so disappointed in Windows 10 that I cannot see buying another product that uses Windows. Keep it up Windows. You think you are too big to fail but you aren't. 

Don't bother giving me a technical fix because I don't need it. 

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

See the following for tips about speeding up Windows 10:

Tips for Speeding Up Windows 10 to Run Faster - groovyPost

If you don't like certain features in Windows 10, you can use the following to remove or disable it:

Downloads / Software / Winaero Tweaker

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Two things:

Performance - If your computer's performance is bad now, it's only going to get worse, particularly in March and September when major upgrades are installed. That's because upgrading a system that has problems to begin with only causes more problems. However, it doesn't have to be that way. The secrets to success with Windows 10 - with any operating system - are not secret at all:

1- Only install on hardware that is compatible with the operating system.

2- Do a clean install, not an upgrade.

3- Only install application software that is supported on the operating system.

I've followed these 'secrets' since Windows 7 and never have trouble with my computer. You can do that too.

Features - If you don't like Cortana, don't use it. I don't use Cortana or Microsoft Edge or the Windows Store or File History or the Mail app or ... lots of things. No one's says you have to do. That's not why I installed Windows 10.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Already did it. Still junk. 

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Will someone please just admit that windows 10 is a horrible operating system, especially for someone that just uses desktop mode and not the stupid tile setup. 

29 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you need to focus on the fundamentals of computing, not necessarily how something looks.

I have been running Windows 10 since October 2014 and four releases of the operating system has done a lot to improve its usability. I agree, its not perfect, but so was the case for Windows 8, Windows 7 and Vista.

Windows 10 features a familiar desktop interface, you have the following functionality more familiar to previous generations of Windows:

• Start menu and Taskbar - you can launch applications, pin them to taskbar
  • Floating windows - easily switch between open applications
  • You can add shortcuts to the desktop, customize the interface using the Settings apps, install themes etc.

I don't see any difference between launching and using Microsoft Word or Microsoft Paint on Windows 10 vs Windows 7.

Tiles are simply modern versions of application executables, once you launch it and you are in your program, there is not much difference.

Tutorial: The Window 7 User’s Guide to Getting the Most Out of Windows 10

also see:

Everyday Tasks

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you here to just complain about Windows or actually get help? Because on my PC it starts in 15 seconds and it's rare for me to have a slow down. Your "just admit that windows 10 is a horrible operating system" comment implies that you just want to find someone who doesn't like Windows instead of actually solving your issues.

I'm suspicious of "Even with a SATA drive". What hardware are you using? You can provide a full report by typing in "dxdiag" into the Cortana search box, then click "save all information" and upload the text file via a link (you can use cloud storage or copy the contents to Pastebin). 

Now onto Cortana. Cortana is very useful for voice tasks and I mainly use her for reminders. There's plenty of smart features in Cortana, such as the personalized feed, translation, calculator, quick facts etc... However, if you really have no use for her, you can do the following:

Start > Settings > Privacy > Speech, inking, & typing. Click on "Turn off speech services and typing suggestions". 

You can also go into her settings and turn off things you don't want there. You can also wipe what she knows about you in the cloud. Finally, you can right-click the bar and go to Cortana > "Show icon" or "hidden" to save taskbar space.

Cortana doesn't use many resources, taking only 79MB of RAM and without CPU/DISK usage when you aren't using her.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Will someone please just admit that windows 10 is a horrible operating system, especially for someone that just uses desktop mode and not the stupid tile setup. 

Sorry, but Windows 10 works perfectly well on my computer. And if you read the technology media, you'll see that Windows 10 works perfectly well on a whole lot of computers, and gets high praise from people who really understand technology. Your computer can work perfectly well too, but you have to take responsibility.

Now, if you want to talk about design decisions or marketing tactics ... that's different. I've already written that I have no use for many of Windows 10's consumer-facing features, and I have no respect for a company that forces and tricks people into installing their product.

However, Windows 10 supports the newest technologies and is the most secure Windows yet, and that's why I have it.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, because you can use it in desktop mode.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft need to think carefully about the future strategy for Windows. I have resisted the pressure to upgrade to Windows 10 because of the forced updates and my main laptop remains on 8.1. Three weeks ago, I accidentally left it behind on the boat after a long weekend there and was faced with the prospect of a two hour drive each way to retrieve it. Alternatively, I had an elderly Sony Vaio laptop on which I had installed Debian Linux which I occasionally used as a test bed for some IoT code that I am developing.

I had all my source code in a cloud based source code control system, so I could easily pull it down to the little Vaio - I decided to grit my teeth and use that for the week till we returned to the boat rather than waste four hours on the road. 

That was three weeks ago. I got the Windows laptop back the following weekend, but it has been booted up once since then to retrieve a couple of documents that I did not have in the cloud. Linux has come on in leaps and bounds since I last attempted to use it seriously. This Vaio (which I am using to type this posting) is close to ten years old it was running like a dog under Windows before I loaded Debian onto it. As a Linux machine, it is responsive and a pleasure to use. 

Microsoft - don't assume that we will meekly take whatever you decide to throw at us - there really is a viable alternative in town these days!

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[1] Microsoft need to think carefully about the future strategy for Windows. I have resisted the pressure to upgrade to Windows 10 because of the forced updates and my main laptop remains on 8.1.

[2] Microsoft - don't assume that we will meekly take whatever you decide to throw at us - there really is a viable alternative in town these days!

[1] I guess you've never used any software from Google.

As for 'forced updates' as they are popularly - and incorrectly - known: Microsoft has been very clear that Windows is becoming Windows-as-a-service, in common with other software. Computing is moving increasingly to the cloud, as you might have noticed. That's why Microsoft calls Windows 10 'the last version of Windows.' It's not a stand-alone product any more. For now, that is the strategy of the computing industry.

[2] There have always been viable alternatives to Windows. What's new about that? Use whatever you like, it's your choice. If you want to avoid software as a service, for as long as there are alternatives, go for it. Like they say in America: It's a free country.

As a personal thought: I find it so ironic that the software industry is now embracing the cloud, as if it was a new idea. From the beginning of the PC software industry, technology activists have been saying that software should be service and free to use. Now that software companies have found a way to monetize the cloud, all of a sudden software as a service is a good idea.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 7, 2024 Views 1,982 Applies to: