Windows 10 Installation Error - 0xC1900101 - 0x20017

When upgrading to Windows 10 I always get the same error message. I get to the point where the system restarts and the windows 10 logo shows but no spinning icon appears. When I force shut down my laptop and then turn it back on again I get this error message:

'0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'

I remember trying to install the Windows 10 Insider Preview earlier this year and got exactly the same problem. I've also tried creating a bootable USB using the new Media Creation Tool but the same problem persists. No matter how I install Windows 10 I always have the same problem.

Specifications:

Samsung S3511 Laptop

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Intel Pentium P6200 2.13GHz

4.00 GB RAM

500GB Hard drive

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I posted a response in another thread, about the issue, because I think that issue is more closely related to my specific case, but since I saw this thread when I was looking for some answers, I figured I would post it here as well, in case someone else here finds the information useful or someone lands here from a search.

Below:

So, after a few hours messing with Windows 10 x64 1804 build 17134, I finally got it installed on a system with an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard, running the Intel Core i7 920 with 24 GB of RAM:  https://i.imgur.com/nlisEV4.png  

I was having the Error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 "SAFE_OS" phase error, where on either an upgrade reboot or on booting from newly created install media, the system would hang (no throbber) at the Windows logo.

1. I turned VT-d off in the BIOS, after reading that there may be some problems with that.  I'm going to turn it back on here in a moment (when my RAID gets done rebuilding) to see if that really affected anything.  It didn't initially, but it may have contributed to the whole. 

2. I downloaded the official MediaCreationTool1803.exe from here.

3. Running the tool, I downloaded the ISO image for Windows 10 1804 x64, build 17134.

4. I used Rufus USB Key Maker (available here) to copy the ISO image to a new 8.0 USB thumb drive, but I made one important change in the config and one that doesn't matter much at all.  By default, the Partition scheme of the ISO / USB stick with RUFUS is GPT.  I changed it to MBR.  That also automatically changed the File system from FAT32 (default) to NTFS, AND it changed the Target system from UEFI (non CSM) to BIOS (or UEFI-CSM).  I also changed the volume label (which is unimportant) from ESD-ISO to WIN10_1804, for my own sanity.  Here's a screen shot:  https://i.imgur.com/9vug9aK.png

5. I put the USB drive in a USB 2.0 port (front of the Chassis, in my case, so it was using the USB motherboard header), but I'm assuming it would also work for the back / main motherboard USB ports.  On POST, I hit F8 to open the boot device selector screen.  It selected USB, and I got the blinking cursor upper left-hand corner, for what felt like the thousandth time.  I sighed, walked away to get a drink, and when I returned to try something else, Windows was in the setup installer.  I rebooted to verify the status ... it worked again, but it stalled on the blinking cursor in upper left for about 30 seconds, which is not normal ... but then it continued without a hitch.

Note, in my specific case, I formatted the SSD completely and installed a fresh everything.  It was late ... I didn't want to mess with / wait for an upgrade to complete.  I'm not sure if that would work.  Anyway, I believe the working solution is to make sure the USB drive is formatted with a MBR partition scheme rather than GPT / Target system BIOS rather than UEFI and ensuring the VT-d BIOS setting is disabled.  And everything works as I'd expect now.  

Second note, more for Microsoft:  1709 didn't require jumping through these hoops.  I would look at what changed between the *UPGRADE* process in 1709 and the same in 1804.  Since I had been upgrading in-state, I'm not sure if the change would have been reflected earlier in the actual system install media ISO.  It definitely was in 1804, but it may have manifested there earlier.  It didn't manifest in the upgrade process until 1804.  

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thnx, this solved my issue. Must have been the Intel VT.

Should I activate Intel VT again or leave it as is?

I have tried everthing the last 3-4 weeks, so I’m really happy that it worked.

I have tried before:

• Update in windows
  • Update by USB
  • Update by ISO mediatool
  • Update by ISO and Rufus (MBR) just as this time, but not deactivated Intel VT
  • Reinstall and update as above again.

Thanks again,

Glenn Spenner

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

im glad that this finally worked for you ,im happy about your success,keep up the great work ,LEAVE THE VT ALONE LET IT OFF .intels vt has caused many problems over the the last 8 months ,use the intel updater  ,always make a copy of each insider preview ,never eat chocolate chip cookies in bed or you girl friend will wake up with chocolate spots and she will scream her ass off at you ,great luck glenn.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

itzdarc - you legend!

I've been trying to upgrade from 1709 to 1803 for weeks. Setup would always freeze early during the upgrade process, and windows would rollback to 1709. The affected PC was stuck in a loop (as Windows Update would try each week) and nothing I did seemed to fix the issue. 

Disabling VT-d in the BIOS was the solution. 

Thanks again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you are 100% correct all the virtual stuff was disabling the updates ,I believe this went back to 17036 or 7 ,I know when I disabled this in the bios my pcs all updated without any sort of a glitch at all ,I recall doing about 40 hours research on this until somebody with a tremendous sounding name on msft community came up with this problem solving addition to as many as 70 different other kinds of solutions ,I also remember that doing a clean install also helped with a big up date  and it all came down to the way msft was signing the  drivers .now being at 17758.1 it seems like a long time ago which is a false assertion because it was just many preview update builds ago ,I do believe sticking with a great thing is worth it until the very end and I also think that Microsoft insider preview is a pretty great thing to have and be a part of .thanks for your notes ,sorry it took so long to reply .I am still doing maintenance on an array which I built and its hooked together in several novel ways ,its bios still has everything virtual still up and running 10, 2080 ti nividia games cards ,its a marvelous machine to mess around with and it runs from a d-link nav sat set up I hid under an attic roof .midda and itzdark I still thank both of you for being such a bunch of legendary skilled diagnosticians and computer whiz kids. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 6, 2020 Views 110,892 Applies to: