Windows 10 Clean install - A Media driver your computer needs is missing

Hello there.

I've run into an odd problem when trying to clean install Windows 10 64-Bit on my ASUS G73JH-A1 using a USB 2.0 Flash Drive and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I can boot the G73JH-A1 from my USB 2.0 Flash Drive that was created by the Media Creation tool located at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

When setup starts I can get past where you select your language and keyboard type but then I run into an error that says: A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive with the driver on it Please insert it now. Note: if the installation media is in the windows DVD drive or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it from this step.

Any idea how to get around this?

I was reading some other posts about this issue that other people are having on other computers and one solution was to use the 32-Bit version instead but I want to use the 64-Bit version. I've also read other posts saying that my download may be corrupted. So I've recreated my USB Flash Drive several times now to include both 32-Bit and 64-Bit even on a different computer. Same issue so a corrupt download is not the issue. I've tried using the 32-Bit selection and it works and does not report any missing drivers however the 64-Bit one behaves the same reporting missing drivers every time. What driver is missing in the 64-Bit that is present in the 32-Bit? Any ideas?

Just for some background info, I was running Windows 8.1 on my G73JH-A1 and upgraded to Windows 10. It upgraded just fine and activated. I am not having any problems per say however I would feel a whole lot better running a clean install over and above an upgrade.

When I clean installed Windows 8.1 x64 on my G73JH-A1 using my USB Flash Drive, I never ran into any issues.

Any help for this issue clean installing Windows 10 using my USB Flash Drive would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Answer
Answer

I had this problem too, and tried many times without luck. Finally, I found this answer from 2011:

http://superuser.com/questions/279359/windows-7-fresh-install-missing-cd-dvd-media-drivers

• If you are installing with USB drive, when it asks for driver, click Cancel. Once you are at the welcome screen, insert the USB drive to a different USB port. Then click Install Now to install.

- worked perfect for me.

962 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 310,952 Applies to: