User folder name truncated

I installed Windows 10 from an iso as a completely new installation. My user name is my Microsoft account name andrew@mydomainname but the folder set up in User has been truncated to five characters, so that Documents is at C:\Users\Andre\Documents and not at C:\Users\Andrew\Documents.

Currently I have Documents at a different location on my Surface to my desktop, which makes it hard to use. 

I can see that reinstalling and using a local account name before connecting my account to my Microsoft account name would probably correct this, but is non trivial and would take a day to implement.

Is there any way I can change the location of my User folder to what I consider to be the correct place?

Andrew

or possibly andre

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2019 Views 4,880 Applies to:

Hi Amacabama,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, user name is taken by the system automatically when you setup Windows on the computer for the first time. So it can not be changed now.

However clean Installation may change the name.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I found I had to do a reinstall anyway so:

1. I reinstalled using a local account in my name

2. I ran the mail app which converts the local account into a MS account

Now okay. Drastic but effective.

Andrew

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to hijack this thread, it was the only one I could see with a similar situation, but I have just reinstalled Windows 10 as a fresh install and noticed this when the batch files I had written to move my files back failed. It has created a user folder of only 5 characters.

I will be reporting this as a bug on the Feedback tool as it should not be doing this as it can cope with longer usernames if a local account.

Other than the reinstall, using a local account then converting it to a Microsoft account, which is not ideal as I believe it doesn't fully convert the account, is there any other solution?

This will cause problems syncing files between two computers and confusion if two people with similar names share a PC. I think this is a mistake on Microsoft's part.

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you. It must be a bug rather than purposely name the user folder only using 5 letters.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem happened to me on a surface pro 4. Such a weird bug!

Sorry this didn't help.

This is an aggravating bug that's just plain disrespectful to people.  It is unprofessional and rude to address another person whom you are not familiar with, not using their proper name. Whatever motivation Microsoft might have had was wrong.

It is like saying, sure, I will store your files, whomever you, are in a folder you can't change, and I don't really give a rat's &^% where I put them.

Your company has billions and billions of Dollars, and this is the best you all could do? Where does the money go? What do you all spend it on? Or did someone actually think, and I use that term loosely, actually think that this was helpful, or a feature, that someone might actually want their name truncated?

Somehow, the screen fading effects during the install worked. Somehow you even managed to remove the way of fixing it. Somehow you managed to turn Windows 10 into the biggest piece of spyware, I have ever seen.

And yet, a PERSON'S name, a HUMAN BEING's name just didn't seem to get the same attention.

How much could you really about the user's feelings, the customer's feelings?

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with the last comment. Windows 10 is a dud and intrusive with so much automated assumptions that it is unusable.  Microsoft should have a fix for this which does not involve fiddling with the registry.  I thought that the reply from the  Microsoft software engineer offensive.

Microsoft please promptly send a fix for this problem, bug

Barry Gale

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a most frustrating issue. I have completed several dozen Windows 10 clean installations and every time in the User directory my users-name directory name is truncated to 5 letters.

It is interesting that with all sorts of techie issues outstanding in the teething years of Windows 10 this particular one brings out the worst in me and I think particularly nasty thoughts about Microsoft.

Beware - Microsoft - this particular bug is a personal swipe at your users. Yes - for better or worse we are now allowed to identify our own gender, ethnicity, political stance - but our names - now that's Microsoft's business. Get real - sort this out please. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I am in the process of setting up my wife's new laptop with windows 10 and I was surprised when I saw the user folder name was truncated from denise to denis.   She hates being called denis.  Please fix this bug
===============================================
It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations. --Sir Winston Churchill

Sorry this didn't help.

Very aggravating. To what purpose? To what benefit?

Please enable renaming the folder to the actual user name selected.

BTW, this is no bug. I feel confident this was a strategic decision to move folks off of long paths and folder names to "Quick access" and "This PC" via the explorer. It migrates you away from the hierarchical folder paradigm.

Sorry this didn't help.