Re-activating Windows 10 after motherboard change.

Hi everyone

I am currently using Windows 10 Build 1607 (Anniversary edition). I had bought a pre-built pc with windows 8 OEM version which I upgraded to windows 10 using the free upgrade program. Now in settings it says my Windows is activated using a digital license which is linked to my Microsoft account. Will I have to re-install windows after changing the motherboard? Will I be able to re-activate my windows after changing my motherboard using the activation troubleshooter?

You have an OEM version of Window, which means your license for it is tied to the first computer it's installed on. According to Microsoft, changing the motherboard makes it a new computer, so you will lose your license, and will not be able to activate it.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You will need a new Windows 10 license:

Previously called Digital Entitlement, when a computer is upgraded from a previous version of Windows; it receives a unique signature of the computer, which is stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license your system was previously running is exchanged for a diagnostics key.

With Digital License, there is no need to know your product key or purchase another product key if you lose it. Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on the same computer, just proceed to do so using any of the available options. Windows 10 will automatically reactivate without asking questions. The only exceptions where the license will be invalidated is dependent on the product channel. If you were previously running an OEM Windows 10, Windows 7 or Windows 8 license; then changing the motherboard will cause the Digital License to no longer work. This will require purchasing a new license. Transferring licenses upgraded from Windows 8 or Windows 7 under the Windows 10 free upgrade is also not allowed under Digital License.

Source: http://www.groovypost.com/how-to-use-digital-license-to-manage-and-activate-windows-10-anniversary-update-licenses/

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You might find this helpful.

Source: Using the Activation Troubleshooter

Note: The Troubleshoot option is available only if your copy of Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later) isn't activated.

If you recently made a significant hardware change to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated on your device.

If you linked your Microsoft account to your Windows 10 digital license on the device BEFORE you make the hardware change, you can reactivate Windows using your sign in info:

1. In the troubleshooter, select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.
  2. Enter your Microsoft account and password, and then select Sign in. You’ll also need to enter the password for your local account if the Microsoft account you entered isn’t a connected account.
  3. From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the device that you’re currently using, select the check box next to This is the device I’m using right now, and then select Activate.

If you don’t see the device you’re using in the list of results, make sure that you’re signed in using the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license on your device.

If you’re signed in using the correct Microsoft account, here are some additional reasons why you can’t reactivate Windows:

• The edition of Windows on your device doesn’t match the edition of Windows you linked to your digital license.
  • The type of device you’re activating doesn’t match the type of device you linked to your digital license.
  • Windows was never activated on your device.
  • You reached the limit on the number of times you can reactivate Windows on your device.
  • Your device has more than one administrator, and a different administrator already reactivated Windows.
  • Your device is managed by your organization and the option to reactivate Windows isn’t available. For help with reactivation, contact your organization’s support person.

If you need additional help reactivating Windows on your device, contact customer support

For more info about how to add your Microsoft account and link it to your Windows 10 digital license, see Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then if my motherboard is damaged, I cannot replace it? Then why should I pay for a use and throw computer? Why should anyone buy a branded pre-built pc? This is bad. And also Microsoft charged half the price of a new windows licence when I bought the pc.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've contacted microsoft times before, and they've said that if you call customer services, explain whats happened. They will activate windows for you, as long as you have the product key available.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 17,435 Applies to: