Product Key for Windows 10 Didn't Work

After several attempt to download window 10 upgrade that it cost me a lot of data charges finally I've successfully downloaded it. However when I run the installation setup from USB it prompted me to enter product key. FYI am currently using legitimate windows 8.1 which I like to upgrade to windows 10, Am manage to find my laptop product key using tool. Unfortunately when I entered the product key from my windows 8.1 laptop, it say's that "product key didn't work. Please check it and try again, or try a different key" So please can anyone could help me to solve this problem? (refer to below screenshot)

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think you are supposed to just skip that and your upgrade will activate automatically by itself so just skip adding the  product key and check it later on and I think you will find it activated itself ... The W10 upgrade activates using the machine motherboard not the previous product key ..

JS...

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply..however there is no option to skip because product key didn't work and "next" button is not enable...please see below screenshot...

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It sounds like you're attempting to do a clean installation.  That will not work until you've first upgraded an existing installation and activated Windows 10.  In order to get a free Windows 10 license, you must upgrade over an existing, activated Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 installation.  You won't be prompted for a key during the upgrade.  You're only prompted for a key if you're doing a clean installation.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah he is right upgrade over old version then from there W10 will reinstall clean and key can be skipped...

JS...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you folks who replied are not paying attention to what he said.

scenario: W8.1 upgrade using the Media Creation tool. Run the installer and yes he is correct it prompts you for a windows license key. It doesnt read the one embedded in your motherboard, operatiing system or anything else. It sits there stupidly and requires a key, that MS did'nt send.

You cannot go any further. You cannot skip this key requirement. All you can do is give up because MS gave you an upgrade tool that doesnt work for no damn reason.

to the guy, JT who said you must install over an existing win7 or 8 installation, thats exactly what he is doing and you are totally wrong with your answer. reread what the OP wrote before giving bad info. eh

Total fail MS...way to suck.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Rick for your reply and concern...yeah you are right...you can't go further until you input the correct key...it's a dead end...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sadly this result is either working as designed for some unknown reason or its the result of total incompetence by MS planners and engineers. The idea of the media creation tool is to bypass the wait and upgrade now. If all you can do is download 3gb and then get halted by a code request there's no actual upgrade other than the wait for it in windows update path. not sure the point MS was trying to make here other than the demonstrate yet again they don't understand their customers and work hard to frustrate them whenever possible.

The fact is its broken.

Don't bother trying to MS technical support. They are totally useless. The phones are so busy from this botched rollout that you'll never get through. 

In summary, go buy a mac...lol.

I run a fully MS shop, however i have one mac and this kind of **** doesnt happen to mac.

if i had a twitter acct i'd be spamming #w10epicfail

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is how it worked for me.....

upgraded to W10 pro from 8.1pro

got W10 set up ... went to settings.... update and security... then the recovery option...then reset this PC

then choose remove everything (that meant previous files from previous W version)...

and proceeded from there...and reset up W10 and this amounted to  a clean install.

later  I ran belarc advisor and it listed a W10 product key even...

you might try this... and I since have been able to create a DVD iso W10 disc for reinstalling...

I will post how I got the ISO file and burnt to dvd as soon as I can find how I did that.... 

found it ..  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-using-the-alternative/2159c2a7-a925-4fa3-9a03-08a5e1ecf891http://

JS....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

js72,

I appreciate that's how it worked for you. However for the OP and me we are not getting an auto download of w10 and the manually created windows image that MS offers dont work.

So while you had w10 install successfully we have not. We are still w8 with no apparent upgrade path that works.

i was just reviewing my windows updates and see 4 failed attempts for w10 installs. It may be me trying upgrade but i think at least one or two are attempts that have been hidden from me while my pc sat unused.

Nothing on my screen when i've returned showed an attempted upgrade so i'm just guessing.

Still seems like a buggy rollout. if anyone has the key to answer this challenge for a product key i'm sure w10 might actually install.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have to sacrifice the goat precisely at midnight GMT, not local time.  Maybe that's the problem.  :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2023 Views 5,811 Applies to: