I have windows 10 

My computer keeps restarting because windows update won't install KB4041676

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2018 Views 33,445 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The first troubleshooting option you can try is Microsoft's own Windows 10 Troubleshooter for Windows Update. In the Windows 10 Creators Update, you can find it in Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot, click Windows Update then click Run the troubleshooter. 
If you are running Windows 10 Anniversary Update or an earlier version of Windows, click Start, type: troubleshooting, hit Enter then launch the Windows Update troubleshooter. 
You can run the troubleshooter a couple times to see if it helps. 

Here are some other options you can explore:
https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/23-troubleshoot-windows-update-problems-in-windows-10-using-these-five-tips/

You can also try installing the cumulative update manually:
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manually-install-standalone-cumulative-updates-virus-definitions-windows-10/
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I deploy patches via SCCM on a regular basis to nearly 5500 clients worldwide. My first group of Alpha systems which contains all of my own workstations receive the first round of patches as a test. ALL of the systems running 1703 blue screen upon reboot AFTER applying this patch (KB4041676).

The message that comes up is INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE. After that, it reboots automatically, attempts to boot again, and then displays the "Automatic Repair" screen. None of these systems make it past this message.

My ALPHA test systems range from brand new Lenovo laptops, 2 Lenovo desktops, 1 Dell desktop, 2 custom built desktops, and 10 VMs.

What now Microsoft?

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly the same issue here.

Any computers that we had on overnight and have rebooted are no longer starting up with a blue screen and INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE.

We've tried all the standard stuff:

Bootrec /fixmbr /fixboot /rebuildos

Renamed bcd file and tried rebuildos

tried copying SAM,SOFTWARE,DEFAULT,SYSTEM from regback

tried sfc /scannow

tried dism /image:DRIVE:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth

We've listed the installed packages with dism /get-packages and it seems that packages:

Package_for_rollupFix_Wrapper~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~15063.674.1.8

Has a state of pending and no iinstall time

Package_for_rollupFix_~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~15063.674.1.8

has a state of pending install and an install time of 2:49

Package_for_rollupFix_~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~15063.608.1.23

has a state of pending install and an install time of 2:50

So far NOTHING has brought the computers back. These are varying models as well across laptops and desktops, the main contributing factors are Windows 10 1703 and the KB 4041676 update.

Some computers which have System Restore HAVE then come back and been OK but it would seems that are main bulk of computers have a policy applied which turns off system restore so we have 150+ computers that we cannot do anything with currently. Our only option atm is to rebuild.

Sorry to hijack but thought some more info on this might help with a resolution.

Doug 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar issue here, cross-vendor (HP and Lenovo, thankfully no VMs have been hit).

System Restore wasn't working, all the usual tricks that have been mentioned in here didn't work, and even a wusa /uninstall /kb:4041676 failed as it couldn't find the KB on at least one offending system.

Solution right now is to do a Windows Reset.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like we have a cause and a possible resolution to this issue.

https://deploymentbunny.com/2017/10/11/the-october-2017-update-inaccessible-boot-device/

Sorry this didn't help.

So, this where we got to after a full day working on it.

System Restore DID work for us where we had system restore turned on. Our own computers within IT had this and we managed to roll back and this worked without issue.

On the majority of computers we have scheduled rebuilds via SCCM throughout the day and are currently backing data up on the others ready to rebuild overnight.

We have worked on 3 computers affected to see if we could fix the issue throughout the day and have just about managed to get back into windows on 2 of them but have deemed the solution to be unreliable so will be continuing with rebuilds.

The process we took to get them working:

Boot into recovery > Open CMD prompt

To confirm you have packages stuck run - DISM /IMAGE:D:\ /GET-PACKAGES (Where D: is your windows installation drive)

If you see 'Package State: Pending Install' then this may work for you. We had 3 that had the issue as above.

To remove the packages run - DISM /IMAGE:D\ /REMOVE-PACKAGE /PACKAGENAME:<PACKAGE NAME>

(We started with Package_for_rollupFix_Wrapper~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~15063.674.1.8)

If you receive the error '0x800F082F' then you will need to follow the extra steps below or follow the link for more info - Chances are you will get this error. If you do not receive the error then please skip the next step.

If you receive the error '0x800F082F' then you will need to mount the Software Hive from system32\config and remove a flag for 'Pending Sessions'. I suggest taking a backup first of this folder in case of any issues.

I would run the following commands:

CD D:\Windows\system32\config - confirm you are in this folder by running DIR - Ensure you see the DEFAULT, SAM, SYSTEM, SOFTWARE files

xcopy *.* D:\Regbackup - Press D to confirm it is directory you wish to create - You should now have a backup of your registry.

In CMD run 'Regedit' > Click on HKLocalMachine > File - Load Hive > D:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE

Name the Hive 'Soft'

Browse to Soft\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Sessions Pending

Find the Entries 'Exclusive' and 'TotalSessionPhases' - Change these to 0  (We only had the Exclusive entry and it was set to 4)

Once complete browse back and click on 'Soft' then File > Unload Hive

This will now get rid of the 0x800F082F error in DISM. More info can be found here: http://www.varidan.com.au/how-to-fix-the-dreaded-windows-error-0x800f082f/

Now you can re-run the DISM /IMAGE:D\ /REMOVE-PACKAGE /PACKAGENAME:<PACKAGE NAME> and you should have no errors.

Run through the packages removing each one, we hit an issues with Package_for_rollupFix_~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~15063.608.1.23 but it still seemed to unininstall.

Reboot the PC and after this it should error and then give you a message saying 'Update install failed, rolling back changes' or something to that effect.

We actually had to remove the graphics card before the PC's would start as with the GFX card in we would receive SYSTEM_THREAD_EXECPTION_NOT_HANDLED, once the card was removed and we were using on-board graphics we could see the above message.

As I say we aren't using this fix and have chosen to rebuild the affected computers instead, this is mainly due to the bulk of the working surrounding the rebuilds has been completed by the time we found the fix and the 'fixed' computers still don't seem 'right' as some drivers are not working correctly.

Hope this helps someone and maybe we'll get some response from MS about this...(?)

·

Sorry this didn't help.

SCCM guy - did you happen to install BOTH the delta update and the cumulative update which shouldn't have been pushed to WSUS last night?

If you did there's a way to recover.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/deploy/monthly-delta-update-isv-support-without-wsus

If both Delta and Cumulative updates are inadvertently installed and your computer is no longer booting, you can recover with the following steps:

1. Boot into WinRE command prompt
  2. List the packages in a pending state:

x:\windows\system32\dism.exe /image:<drive letter for windows directory> /Get-Packages >> <path to text file>

Example: x:\windows\system32\dism.exe /image:c:\ /Get-Packages >> c:\temp\packages.txt

3. Open the text file where you piped get-packages. If you see any install pending patches, run remove-package for each package name:

dism.exe /image:<drive letter for windows directory> /remove-package /packagename:<package name>

Example: x:\windows\system32\dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB4014329~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.0

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming my theory is right and you guys caught the delta patch problem -- Bottom line Microsoft accidentally pushed the Delta updates to the WSUS channel.  If you happen to have caught both, this will bsod a machine.

To anyone reading this from the Neowin post link -- this is NOT as a result of the patch - it is a result of having TWO updates being pushed to the machine at the same time.  The Delta patch should not have been placed on WSUS channel and was expired last night.

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming my theory is right and you guys caught the delta patch problem -- Bottom line Microsoft accidentally pushed the Delta updates to the WSUS channel.  If you happen to have caught both, this will bsod a machine.

To anyone reading this from the Neowin post link -- this is NOT as a result of the patch - it is a result of having TWO updates being pushed to the machine at the same time.  The Delta patch should not have been placed on WSUS channel and was expired last night.

This is precisely why my company waits a week after Patch Tuesday to release Windows Updates via WSUS.

Microsoft can't be trusted with these kinds of things anymore.

C Vallejo

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Susan,

It would seem like this was our issue as I have confirmed on a computer we've managed to bring back that both the cumulative and delta patches were installed. It seems to be any computer that received the updates last night around 8:30pm GMT had the issue when they rebooted at 4am.

The issue we had with removing the packages as per your steps above were the 608.1.23 patch did not seem to completely uninstall nor did the computer boot without first removing the discrete graphics card, I'm unsure if the two are related. We also found other drivers missing from the computers whereas before this was not the case so I can only imagine that the update and/or the removal of the update is removing or changing files which are required by certain devices. 

EDIT: We also couldn't remove the packages without first changing the flag in the registry, we would receive the 0x800F082F error message every time we tried to remove without first clearing this flag.

Anyone following the steps above I would certainly check that everything is working as expected after completing the work.

So are we safe to re-add the 4041676 patch back into our WSUS server tomorrow and send this update out to clients? It seems that some of our clients have got and installed the update successfully, I'm guessing these would have been switched on at a time after the Delta update was pulled.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.