How you can still get Windows 10 for free

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

Windows 10 was released with a free upgrade offer that lasted for 1 year. Now, the free upgrade promotional period is officially over. However, you can still snag yourself a free license of Windows 10, perfectly legally, if you know how.

It is a good idea to secure your important data before proceeding with any upgrade or installation.

Details

Use a Windows 7 or Windows 8.x product key

While the free upgrade offer ended last year, Microsoft will still let you install Windows 10 and activate it using a valid Windows 7 or Windows 8.x product key. When you download Windows 10 this way, your PC will receive a digital license valid for the life of the device, exactly the same way as if you had taken advantage of last year's offer.

First, you'll need to find your product key. See my article "How to recover your Windows product key" for more information.

When you've found your product key, head over to the Download Windows 10 website and click the Download tool now button.

When the tool finishes downloading, open it, accept the license terms, and hit Upgrade this PC now. If you prefer, you can also select Create installation media for another PC to download an .iso file and clean install Windows 10.

If you choose to create installation media, make sure to download the correct version of Windows 10.

Either way, after Windows 10 installs, you can use your Windows 7 or Windows 8.x product key to activate when you are asked.

Assistive Technologies Offer

Microsoft is offering Windows 10 for free for customers who use "assistive technologies". All you have to do is visit their Accessibility website and hit the "upgrade now" button.

A tool will be downloaded that will help you upgrade your Windows 7 or 8.x machine to Windows 10. The process is the same as last year's free upgrade process. When you download Windows 10 this way, your PC will receive a digital license valid for the life of the device, exactly the same way as if you had taken advantage of last year's offer.

According to the terms, anyone who uses "assistive technologies" qualifies for the upgrade. These technologies can range anywhere from magnifiers and content readers to simply using a high contrast Windows theme or mouse pointer.

Despite the terms being clearly laid out, Microsoft is not checking that whomever downloads Windows 10 this way uses assistive technologies. And despite confusion when this loophole was discovered long ago, Microsoft has not hidden or withdrawn the offer. They also have not specified when it will end.

Reinstall Windows 10

If you took advantage of the free upgrade offer, or you obtained Windows 10 using the methods in this article, you can reinstall Windows 10 on that same machine however many times you'd like without providing a product key. This is because Windows 10 registers your hardware IDs with Microsoft's servers, so that when you reinstall Windows, your hardware is automatically matched with the servers and activated.

Windows 10 also allows you to upgrade various hardware components like RAM or storage devices without requiring reactivation. This is also thanks to the ID matching system.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

What you say may be true, but I just proved that the method described in this post still works like a champ!!!  No payment required and never asked me for a product key or any type of license information.  

What you say may be true, but I just proved that the method described in this post still works like a champ!!!  No payment required and never asked me for a product key or any type of license information.  

I just upgraded to Win 10 for a friend. Checked with Microsoft support and told the full truth. They confirmed the Microsoft account was now a Win 10.

However,
They where careful not to confirm that this is ok, or possible. (I understand that).

I asked 

"- Is this a correct Win 10 digital license to this Microsoft account?"

Microsoft support Answer:

"-Yes"

I --->think<--- that Microsoft doesnt really care if a few real customers can upgrade "for free".
Since its from a real Win 7 license, and they do not have to help, nor have to explain to 9/10 who tries this but get told its not possible, that brand computers has a brand Windows license.

I dont think this will be possible after they stop supporting Win 7 though.

Think about it. Win 10 has a LIFETIME support. It does not end untill Win 10 does!
Every real Win 10 license gives you a FANTASTIC Microsoft personal tech support!

At no cost.

With 2 conditions.

1. Your Microsoft account needs to be used/logged into, once every 2 years.

Every time you turn on your PC with a digital license and connection to the internet, you "log in" to your MS account.

And if you cant turn on your computer, you can log onto your MS account from any computer, as long as you have your login info.

2. Your Win 10 needs to be on a supported version.

(Press the freakin Win update button people)

Even if Microsoft would give Win 10 away, both them and their customers, gain value if more users are on the same version.

Stuff works better.

Extremely simplified: That is why Apple works "better".

This mumbo jumbo business talk post sais:
Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 still works for free, IF you are lucky.

A confirmed win 10 license in your MS account, is perfectly legal.

(Microsoft still have the right to change this, but that goes for everyone).

"-I don't agree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to the death, your right to say it"

Now on to my next machine, my daughter's Lenovo S10-3 netbook, running Windows 7 Starter.

I let it follow the whole upgrade process as Microsoft designed it by reserving a copy of Windows 10 and waiting for it to prompt me that Windows 10 was ready to install. AS part of this process, the checker tells me

It takes a long time on such a slow machine so I cant be sitting next to it for the whole process.

I have let it try to upgrade twice by following the prompts and once by using the USB.

In all cases, the black installation percentage dial has gone well over 50% and maybe higher and then and then – "Restoring your previous version of Windows" screen appears. If I am not around, ( I went o bed last night), I don't even see this message. This morning I just woke up to a Windows 7 Starter system again.

When my old Windows 7 starter re-boots, the whole automatic background download starts again and then I get asked to commence the upgrade again. Having now had 3 downloads on this one machine, I am not going to bother starting the next upgrade until I can resolve what is preventing this upgrade from happening.

I cant even get the first upgrade to complete to take a clean install option.

Windows Update History shows it failed with error code of C1900101, which indicates some sort of incompatibility. Any ideas about how I can narrow it down.

DID YOU RESOLVE THIS ?????

Does it still working???

Does it still working???

seems to be.

While it works I wonder about the legality of it if you upgrade your business laptop. A home machine maybe fine but a business desktop is a whole different story.
i have a asus k53e with windows 7 home premium but it says that my key does not work in the upgrade ap i have a genuine windows sticker key im using that has been on the computer since i bought it brand new from costco i havent use it on any other computer why am i getting this error?

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 29, 2020 Views 218,620 Applies to: