How to: Perform a Repair Upgrade Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

If your Windows 10 installation is demonstrating unusual behavior such as built in apps not working or launching, you can perform a repair upgrade to fix the problem. A repair upgrade is the process of installing Windows 10 over the existing installation of Windows 10 on your hard disk, using your installation DVD or ISO file. Performing this can repair broken operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings and installed applications.

Details

The first thing you will need to do is download the latest .ISO file available for Windows 10.

Click HERE to download official ISO media for Windows 10 from Microsoft.

Starting the installation

When you download the .ISO file, you can start the upgrade immediately by simply double clicking the .ISO file to mount it. If you are running Windows 8/8.1 and plan to upgrade your operating system, you can also use this method. Windows 7 and earlier will need to prepare install media. If you prefer to prepare installation media and start the installation from that, review the following article (see section Download and prepare .ISO file):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-dual-boot-the-latest-windows-build-with/9695dfc7-1c13-4d8d-b10b-587e78c6ac36

Here I have my .ISO file downloaded and mounted. All I need to do is double click setup to begin the installation.

Windows is preparing setup.

Read and accept the Windows License terms then click Accept

If you see this screen and it goes by really quick, don't worry, you will get a chance when its dones configuring to choose what you want to keep.

Windows 10 doing additional configurations.

At the 'Ready to install' screen you are presented with a summer which includes the task to be completed:

- Install Windows 10 Pro

- Keep Windows Settings, personal files and apps

Click Change what to keep make any necessary adjustments.

Once satisfied, click Install

Windows 10 setup will then change to full screen, wait while setup installs. Your computer will be restarted automatically.

After restarting, Windows logo will appear on screen, this might be here for a while, as long as you see the indicater, everything should be ok.

Here you are presented with the new setup experience that provides a spherical progress indicator of the installation process. When complete, you will see the Getting ready notification appear on screen. As noted, your computer will restart during this phase of setup.

Sign into your account and click Next

Here you are preseted with the Out of Box Experience. The Out of Box Experience page is where you get to configure detailed settings in Windows, which includes creating a user account, privacy, sync PC settings and install modern applications. For the purposes of this article, I will choose Use express settings

Wait while Windows finalizes your settings

Continue to wait while Windows installs modern applications.

Sign in if prompted

Thats it! You have successfully completed a repair upgrade.

Press Windows key + R

Type: winver

Hit Enter on your keyboard to verify the build number

You can also see this in the build number on the desktop

Related:

Forum Article Info

Last updated December 8, 2019 Views 1,221,331 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sorry, this is the wrong place to make this appropriate point.  Andre is not MS.  YOu want to copy your comment in to the Feedback Hub

Send Feedback to MS Developers: Launch Feedback Hub via  <WIN><F>

“Official” MS does not pay much attention to this forum. However, you now can send your complaints and feature requests directly to MS developers and managers using the “Feedback” process described in this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/send-feedback-to-ms-developers/506e7654-8ced-405b-911e-c58d8f253069

Please post a share link to your feedback, back here, so other people who find your question will be able to vote for it and add their comments to it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.
~Abraham Lincoln

Ive made it clear each of the numerous times Ive had to call, for over a week (almost daily being hung up on by Phillipine techs who want to go home -instead of explaining that), that I have a RAT and need to wipe the entire system. Why would they even download this onto my computer? And Then, send directions to complete it to a user with disabilities. The customer care really sucks. Im on day 6, still with everything as it was when I started multiple daily calls for assistance

Reply In reply to deleted message
Myself I’m working off of the phone not a computer so I have no way to download software and all that stuff but mine has a hard time there’s a lot of times it a pop-up that I need to download iOS for apples for apples for iOS which I remember that when they first came out I tested out for you guys I lost a lot of **** over because there is a loophole and apples software so be careful
Will this tutorial work on a linx 1010B tablet netbook. I tried to factory reset it to start over but ended up with a blank screen now when supposed to boot to windows 10.

Hello, Will this delete my apps, programs, files, or data?

CheerS

@BananaBotFilms No, unless you choose to.   You will be asked what to keep.  All of your programs and files will be kept by default.
Hong
You might need to reliad the Windows os software. If your sustem cane with it preloaded so that you dont have a cooy, then the customer service at Microsoft should be able to assist you with that.
I have installed win 10 on my pc. And now i want to use this repair.So i need to know that ihave to note something before repair like product key ,password or something else.

Hi,

No need to note the product key as this is digitally assigned to the OS, it will get activated automatically once reinstalled.

Nagmoti

Thank you very much Andre!

I had my temp folder fulfilled with APX.... report stuff (120G of them!) and I couldn't stop the OS not to fill it again and again!

Everything seems to be ok now, I even could get my calculator back!

You were very helpfull!