Forum Article

How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary
The following wiki article details some common tips you can use before installing Windows 10 or any future builds guaranteeing a successful installation.

Details

This article can now be found in its entirety at Groovypost.com
How to Prepare Your PC for a Successful Windows 10 Upgrade

If you are Performing a Clean Install by Booting from the Windows 10 install disk:

Try simplifying your configuration by keeping only your mouse and keyboard attached, that means:

• Disconnecting multiple display monitors.
  • Remove discrete video cards, use the on-board graphics if your motherboard supports it.
  • Swap out memory modules - a RAM module might be corrupt - you can also ensure RAM sticks are installed slots 1 and 3. Your RAM modules might be corrupt, try scanning them for errors
  • If you have more than one hard disk installed, disconnect all except the target disk where Windows 10 will be installed.
  • Reset your BIOS Defaults.
  • Disconnect all external devices, since connected devices can sometimes confuse setup.

If setup is successful after performing these tasks, you can reinstall each removed component. 

Troubleshooting installation:

Thank you,

Andre

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Very good :)

Thank you :)

Bu ileti veya öneriler size yardımcı olduysa “Yanıt olarak işaretle” linkine tıklatınız.

I have had many problems upgrading from 9841 and would like the new ISO mentioned above. The link is currently dead. Is it still available?

Hi

i have a problem with opening my "Pc Settings" window and the App store?

I click on the tile at the window for the app is visible for a split of a milli secund and then its gone..

i can see the app is opened in the taskbar below but it will not open?

I cant see it, if i press "alt + tap" and trying to switch over, it isnt there..

the problem came wenn i updated the last build 9879..

Hi

i have a problem with opening my "Pc Settings" window and the App store?

I click on the tile at the window for the app is visible for a split of a milli secund and then its gone..

i can see the app is opened in the taskbar below but it will not open?

I cant see it, if i press "alt + tap" and trying to switch over, it isnt there..

the problem came wenn i updated the last build 9879..

Try the following:

Click Start, type: powershell

Hit Enter

At the command prompt, enter the following command:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hit Enter

Exit

Restart your computer and see if the problem is resolved.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

I have had many problems upgrading from 9841 and would like the new ISO mentioned above. The link is currently dead. Is it still available?

Download: Windows 10 9879 ISO | US x86 - x64 | UK x86 - x64

Additional languages can be found here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso-update?os=win10

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Thank you Andre Da Costa

now its working..

Good to see the Build Number on the download page.  That, in itself, is an improvement.

Now to see if 9879 will install over updated 9860.  It failed on 11/25/14.

Good to see the Build Number on the download page.  That, in itself, is an improvement.

Now to see if 9879 will install over updated 9860.  It failed on 11/25/14.

Successfully updated from 9860 to 9879 on 12/01/14.  Don't know why it worked this time, since Win10 has not been booted since the failure on 11/25/14.

BTW, after the failure, it automatically reverted back to 9860.

Thanks a lot! For me de-installing the 3rd party Antivirus was the clue on both me machines

should i upgrade 9841 to 9926 or further ?? and how mch size of this update ?? how much time it takes to download ??

Forum Article Info

Views: 289,807 Last updated: June 23, 2018 Applies to: