Technical Level : Intermediate
The following wiki article details some common tips you can use before installing Windows 10 or any future builds guaranteeing a successful installation.
This article can now be found in its entirety at Groovypost.com
How to Prepare Your PC for a Successful Windows 10 Upgrade
If you are Performing a Clean Install by Booting from the Windows 10 install disk:
Try simplifying your configuration by keeping only your mouse and keyboard attached, that means:
- Disconnecting multiple display monitors.
- Remove discrete video cards, use the on-board graphics if your motherboard supports it.
- Swap out memory modules - a RAM module might be corrupt - you can also ensure RAM sticks are installed slots 1 and 3. Your RAM modules might be corrupt, try scanning them for errors.
- If you have more than one hard disk installed, disconnect all except the target disk where Windows 10 will be installed.
- Reset your BIOS Defaults.
- Disconnect all external devices, since connected devices can sometimes confuse setup.
If setup is successful after performing these tasks, you can reinstall each removed component.
- How to: Upgrade to Windows 10 if you are on a slow or metered Internet connection?
- How to: 10 Tips before installing Windows 10
- How to: 10 things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.
- How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10
- How to recover data from a non booting hard disk
- How to: perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file