How do I transfer Windows 10 to new SSD from Hard Drive inside Dell Inspiron 5548 upgraded from windows 8?

I need to make a clean install of Windows 10 on a new 2.5" intel 256 gb SSD

I have an usb HDD external adapter.

Is there a way to install Windows 10 on the new SSD connected to the external adapter, Boot the PC on the SSD and later activate Windows with the activation key from the original HDD?

Thanks!

Answer
Answer

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.

So, there is no need to know or get a product key, if you need to reinstall Windows 10, you can use your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key or use the reset function in Windows 10.

If you are prompted to enter a product key, click 'I don't have a key' and 'Do this later'

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2020 Views 1,065 Applies to: