Fonts and Windows 10

Hello, I am having trouble with some fonts I have bought. Adobe says that in order for a font to be able to be used in Photoshop Elements, the font needs to be installed in the Windows Fonts folder, and I suppose this must be true for Microsoft Word. Anyhow, I can’t use these fonts (on my PC running Windows 10) either in Elements or in Word (2013). When I try to get one of the fonts into the Fonts folder, I am told it is already installed (and actually all these fonts are in a subfolder in the Roaming folder in AppData). Yet even if in answer to the question ‘Do you want to replace it?’ I then click 'Yes', the font fails to appear in the Fonts folder, and a search for it there yields nothing. The same thing happens if I try to copy/install one of the fonts from a backup on an external drive. Can anyone help, please?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Paul,

There are a lot of ways on how to choose the  font of your choice. Here's a way on how to install fonts on Windows 10:

1. Choose the font that you want to install.
  2. Download your font (these are often .ttf files)
  3. Right-click on the downloaded font and click Install.

Here's how to check if the font is installed on your PC:

1. Type fonts on the search bar and press Enter.
  2. You should see your fonts on the font control panel. If not, on the search box type the font name to find it.

Update us with the status. We will be glad to assists you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Justine,

According to Windows these fonts are installed already. The trouble is they are not in the Fonts folder and I can't get any of them into it, even by clicking 'Yes' when asked if I want to replace them. But thank you for replying so promptly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the response.

If that's the case, we recommend performing a clean boot on your device to start Windows by using minimal set of drivers. After that, check if you'll be able to choose the font that you like.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Paul,

We noticed the post has been inactive for 48 hours now. We'd like to make sure if you still need assistance regarding this issue.

If the previous recommendation resolved your issue, we encourage you to inform the Community by marking the post as an answer or by clicking on Helpful.

Let us know if you need further help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Justine, forgive me for not replying before. On joining the Community, I was glad to hear, as a novice myself, that it ‘welcomed novice users’ as well as experts and others. And I subsequently read more than once, thanks to the link you kindly provided, the instructions ‘How to perform a clean boot’. But I also read the following: We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to change the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable. And in view of this warning from Microsoft itself (and the ‘unless’ clause notwithstanding), I felt, again as a novice, that this was a procedure beyond my competence, involving a risk I shouldn’t take.

But that isn’t the reason for my silence, which is that my state of health this last fortnight has prevented me from dealing with this matter as with many others. Please accept my apologies, and my thanks for the trouble you have gone to on my account.

Paul Crouch

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Adrianne, forgive me for not replying before. On joining the Community, I was glad to hear, as a novice myself, that it ‘welcomed novice users’ as well as experts and others. And I subsequently read more than once, thanks to the link Justine kindly provided, the instructions ‘How to perform a clean boot’. But I also read the following: We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to change the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable. And in view of this warning from Microsoft itself (and the ‘unless’ clause notwithstanding), I felt, again as a novice, that this was a procedure beyond my competence, involving a risk I shouldn’t take.

But that isn’t the reason for my silence, which is that my state of health this last fortnight has prevented me from dealing with this matter as with many others. In fact I have only read your post today. Please accept my apologies, and my thanks for your interest in my issue. 

Paul Crouch

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Paul,

Upon reading the posts on this thread, we've identified that Justin Pel has been trying to assist or help you regarding your concern with Fonts in Windows 10. We appreciate the responses that you've provided as well, and we also hope that you're doing great now. However, we would like to know if you're still having the same concern with the fonts in Windows 10.

We're looking forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Carlos. My problem with the Fonts folder continues to be what I have stated it to be twice before (September 2). The fonts already listed in the folder, however, remain unaffected.

Paul Crouch

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your response and the information provided, Paul. Let's check if running the Word application in safe mode will make a difference. Check this article to learn how to do so. You may also run the System File Checker tool to scan and repair any missing system files or corrupted data in the computer.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Carlos, thank you for those two suggestions. Some of the complications in running the SFC tool, not only if Windows Resource Protection has not been able to fix corrupt files, but also merely in viewing the details if it has, seemed to me, on reading the instructions, as great as the complications in and after performing a clean boot, and thus equally daunting to a novice. But I have (taking up your other suggestion) run Word in safe mode. And I now can use in Word one of the fonts I bought. Only, I can use it there in both safe mode and normal mode, and I believe this is because it has now reappeared in the Fonts folder. How? Not by my running Word in safe mode, presumably—at any rate, doing this hasn’t got any of my nine other purchased fonts back into that folder. When I downloaded the fonts, they were all installed there. Subsequently, although (as I have said) according to Windows they still are installed, they somehow disappeared from the folder, and only that one is now back in it. And although they are all on the drop-down list in Word, when I try to use any of them, again except now for that one, I continue to be told ‘Word cannot display the requested font’.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2020 Views 1,077 Applies to: